Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredded the lavender, grape prunings and broccoli plants I brought back from the allotment a few days ago.

Comment

Cleared and swept out the greenhouse. Not my favourite job but was desperately needing it and will maybe discourage the mice that I think have been living in there and have eaten my sweet peas

Comment

Bought some compost, potted up lettuce sown sweet peas.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Went and collected some spent hops, then used them to mulch the soft fruit.
          Also dug out a small old strawberry bed, and then dug it over and removed all the bind weed to get it ready for the new jostaberry cutting I will be putting in there.

Comment

Strimmed and partiallly dug in green manure in preparation for the broad beans. Realised they could grow a lot taller than I had anticipated. They are bunyards exhibition, a present and new to me having only grown aquadulce previously.
            Height seems to range from 4’ to 5’ which means I will have to rethink how best to arrange the tall peas, runners and french beans so they get maximum sun and cast minimum shade.

Comment

Inoculated a couple of logs with shitake and Indian oyster mushroom plugs. The logs were Elder, left after some work I had done in the garden 2 weeks ago.
              The logs are now resting in the damp and cool old coal bunker.
              Not that I'm expecting much, but let's see how it looks like in 6-18 months.
              Last edited by MelanieSW; 26-02-2022, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Sowed sweet peas, peas and echinacea seeds. Moved some raspberries to make the bed less congested -that was tough going - and hoed a bed that has just been created. Potted up a few plants I’ve been overwintering in the greenhouse. .

Comment

What a lovely day. Need to remember that we could still get frost and snow so don’t get carried away with my planting. Anyway hoed and raked over some of the beds and tidied up the cavolo Nero which is starting to go to seed. Pulled up the last of the leeks. Also been planning what crop goes where for this year.

Comment

Got to the plot before work today , beautiful and peaceful . Bit chilly but soon got warmed up with the sun .
                    finished mulching the autumn rasps with well rotted Xmas tree shreddings , full of worms ! .Rasps have been a bit chlorotic recently ,so an acidic mulch may help . I’ve also got some Epsom salts to administer later. I’ve put tete a tete dwarf daffs in the long boxes on the sides of the compost bins , lovely and bright in the sun . I use the long boxes for carrots later ,too high up for the dreaded root fly ! .

Comment

Potted on lettuce seedlings into modules. Scrubbed plant labels thought I'd done them all but these were hiding.

Comment

Emptied, turned and refilled the compost bin.
                        Dug over the patch where I am to plant my early potatoes.

Comment

Shuffled seedlings around from h/prop to windowsills, other into GH.

Comment

Planted out 14 broad beans grown in roottrainers. Covered some with a cloche to protect from the wind.
                            Labelled my red onion sets planted 6 days ago.
                            22deg in the GH earlier with a brisk march wind and now afternoon showers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              Shuffled seedlings around from h/prop to windowsills, other into GH.
                              That’s the stage I am getting to. Tomato seedlings less than a week old have gone from heated prop to grow lights but already leggy so will need to prick out and put on windowsills.

Comment

Folks next door helped us right the machinery shed, which blew over in the big winds last week.
                                No damage and got out the lawn mower and cut the grass.
                                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X