• Show
Clear All

• What I did today 2022

A new thread for a new year.

Heres last years for comparison….

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...did-today-2021
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I have just finished adding the horse output to my second raised bed where I grew all those squashes last year.
    There was lots of lovely soil improver to shovel out from under last years squashes. There is another two non raised beds to be improved with it.
    The supply heap of horse output had frost on the top and was steaming inside.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7368R.jpg
Views:	6060
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	2539307Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7370R.jpg
Views:	6046
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2539308
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Finally got greenhouse seeds planted. Delayed by technical hitches. Tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, and aubergines on the go.. Temperature coming up slowly, passing 12°C measuresd in the compost..Hoping for about 16°CClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220109_122928.jpg
Views:	5876
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2539396
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Looked at my garlic growing the coverings are to stop our cat,the clump of growth is crocuses.they didn’t flower last year,I should lift & divide them

Name:	7885E446-4F40-484B-847A-07D6974AAD71.jpeg
Views:	5822
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2539407

Comment

Cut back raspberries and blackberries, tying in this years blackberry canes.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Turned the latest batch of hot compost - five days in but at 75C was a bit too hot really

Name:	Too-hot.jpg
Views:	6126
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2539575
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I planted my garlic. It was supermarket bought bulbs that have been chitted on the shed window ledge.
              Most of the cloves were showing green shoots.
              I also tried some little pea sized bulbs that came off the stipes of last years crop as an experiment.

Comment

Went to the beach and collected seaweed for the garden. There's usually one or two big piles of washed up seaweed after a storm but this time it was spread about here and there all along the beach (making it much harder to collect). I didn't get as much as I'd hoped for, but there was enough to cover the potato beds so that's good. I also put some in a water butt to rot down and make seaweed tea.

I want to go back and collect some more seaweed but will have to wait till after the next storm and see if there's enough washed up onto the beach (for environmental reasons, it's illegal to pull seaweed off of the rocks or to take too much of the washed up stuff).

Comment

Cleaned all my labels so they’re ready to be reused.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Dug out a massive clump of fascicularia bicolor, which we planted 10 years ago and hadn't realized how big it had become. A metre across with loads of, now finished, flower heads.

Also cut back an equally overgrown Phormium. The strappy leaves seem to be reinforced with Kevlar so you can only cut one at a time and have to keep sharpening the shears. Now have enough leaves for a Robinson Crusoe style hut.

Couple of glasses of a nice red, and a snooze of the sofa.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I have continued digging over and manuring my long bed along the side of my plot. Two years ago it was an inch of topsoil over brick making clay.
                      So far it had had two estate car loads of peat based soil/pearlite with the roots of a crop of naughty tobacco in it and one barrow of horse manure per two sq yards. The peat/pearlite was given to me by the ex landlord of the naughty farmer after Derbyshire police assisted them with there harvest in exchange for some assistance with there own enquiries.
                      A modest crop of French beans was had. This year the manure is not as well rotted so it is going on early. The clay soil is seriously heavy with plenty of good sized worms and the manure has plenty of brandling worms in some of it. I will dig or rtotavate before planting to allow the manure to rot a bit.
                      Last edited by Plot70; 16-01-2022, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Dragged a half waterbutt full of soil to its new location, and did a little weeding.

Comment

Had to chuckle at you mentioning the naughty compost Plot!
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The compost was fine.
                            It was the crop that was grown in it that was naughty.
                            The root balls broke down instantly at the first sniff of frost.
                            They were started in some things that looked like tea bags that do not decompose. I still keep finding them.

Name:	DSCF5586.JPG
Views:	5889
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	2540008

Comment

For the last few days we've been topping up the wood chip paths. It all looks neat and tidy for now but I'm sure the blackbirds will soon change that..

Name:	Paths-topped.jpg
Views:	6083
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2540035
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...