X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rary
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    The only problem with hugelkulture beds that I've heard about are in the first year: dry beds and low nitrogen, as Nick points out. So I guess don't expect too much in the first year or get disheartened if the results aren't what you hope for. The second year could be much better.
    I doubt it will be any worse than this year Snoop, I had to water regularly which is something I don't normally have to do, as I have been emptying one of the beds when I got 5 or 6 inches down the soil was as dry as dust and full of roots, as for the nitrogen depletion (I read that word on the back of a cornflakes box and wanted to use it) I am hoping that topping off with compost and seaweed will overcome this, how ever time will tell

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    The only problem with hugelkulture beds that I've heard about are in the first year: dry beds and low nitrogen, as Nick points out. So I guess don't expect too much in the first year or get disheartened if the results aren't what you hope for. The second year could be much better.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    The concrete slab that the raised bed is on is level, I had actually made it as a base for my greenhouse though it is sealed on three sides I am hoping that any excess water will drain from the wooden side, which has a poly sheet tucked under the bottom board and protect the rest from being in contact with the soil, I think the water should drain out below the polythene, the large logs should eventually act as a sponge which will give out water as required

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    I have a small raised bed on my patio, 180cm x 45 cm x 45cm, and it sits on top of an old concrete path (I raised some patio slabs to install the bed, but it turns out there was an old concrete path beneath, and it was too solid to remove, so I had to build the bed on top of it). It has a sort of drainage runnel along one side, about 5cm wide, which does go down into the soil, but otherwise the whole thing it on concrete, and I have no problems with water-logging, nor with it drying out unduly in the summer.
    Since yours is even bigger, I think it should work just fine. Although I would make sure there is at least some facility for drainage, either holes drilled into the concrete periodically, or else you could lay all of the concrete on a slight slope, rather than perfectly flat, and have a drainage channel at the downhill end.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    Thanks nick, once I get it covered with soil I will spread some chicken pellets over the soil then cover with several, layers of cardboard, and this will get covered with another layer of soil, then topped of with garden compost and seaweed, there will be no old bed as the soil from the old beds are being used to make up the new bed and also help make my flower beds a bit wider as for digging, my OH and my knees won't allow this

Leave a comment:

• nick the grief
    replied
    I must admit I've not really looked at Hugelkulture but the problems I can forsee are
    • THe dept may be an issue with some crops (carrots and parsnips for a start)
    • the slabs may give you the opposite problem with it waterlogging due to poor drainage - depends how well they are sealed
    • the large volumes of wood may cause a nitrogen depletion as it will suck the nitrogen out the soil to help break it down - I'd think I would ahve tried to chip it and compost it down seperately bixing it with something like Ammonium Nitrate which is roughly 21-0-0 and will help break it down, but if you do do this whatever you do , don't put your hand in it - you will burn your hand as it get really hot.
    apart from that you should be fine

Maybe you could convert your old bed to a dig bed and the action of digging will help prune the roots in it.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    started a topic Do you think it will work

Do you think it will work

This year my harvest was not as expected, and the soil was very dry, I even had to water quite regularly which is not normal, so once the beds were empty I dug down to check the soil and about 4 inches down there were lots of tree roots, as I work with 2ft. high raised beds this meant the beds were pritty full of roots, so I have now decided to build a larger raised bed sitting on a concrete bed the ends and one side are made with concrete slabs which are also sealed to the base with concrete, which hopefully will stop roots getting in the remaining side is built with timber, which should let any excess water drain out, as I also had to cut down an ash tree suffering with Ash dieback, I have used the wood to part fill the bed which hopefully will act as a water store in the future, a sort of hugelkulture bed which I hope will be a bit more environmentally friendly compared to burning the wood as there will be no pollution and as said less watering, so do you think I have given myself a lot of work for nothing?
    ​​​​​​

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X