Late sowing of dwarf french beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late sowing of dwarf french beans

I am experimenting with a late sowing of dwarf french beans. The plants have lot of flowers. Approximately how long does it take for the flowers to become a beans I can pick. I didn't think to record this information for my earlier crop. Thanks.

Not long. I'd say 7-10 days, depending on the weather. 2 weeks at the absolute most.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemoney View Post
      I am experimenting with a late sowing of dwarf french beans. The plants have lot of flowers. Approximately how long does it take for the flowers to become a beans I can pick. I didn't think to record this information for my earlier crop. Thanks.
      I also have some late dwarf beans in flower at the moment so I'll let you know but I agree with the previous poster, 2 weeks max.

Comment

I have found that if night temperatures drop dramatically they slow down - worth considering. (Maybe fleece at night if it gets really chill)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          I have found that if night temperatures drop dramatically they slow down - worth considering. (Maybe fleece at night if it gets really chill)
          At what temperature should I cover themwith fleece please.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRuth View Post

I also have some late dwarf beans in flower at the moment so I'll let you know but I agree with the previous poster, 2 weeks max.
            Look forward to seeing how quickly you get some beans to eat. Hope I won't be too far behind you.

Comment

At what temperature should I cover themwith fleece please.
              I’d say at 10C just overnight as you still want them pollinated.
              it’s not as an anti frost , but just to keep the temperature up a tad.

Might be worth doing an experiment - half fleeced overnight and half not and let us know your findings!

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                Not long. I'd say 7-10 days, depending on the weather. 2 weeks at the absolute most.
                I picked two small beans today. Couldn't wait any longer. Plenty more to come if the weather holds. The estimate was spot on as it's 10 days since my first post.

Comment

Look forward to seeing how quickly you get some beans to eat. Hope I won't be too far behind you.
                  I've had 1 large picking of beans and there are plenty more to come. I'm in Bristol so the temperature hasn't been below 10C yet, according to the Met office.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRuth View Post

I've had 1 large picking of beans and there are plenty more to come. I'm in Bristol so the temperature hasn't been below 10C yet, according to the Met office.
                    I picked 6 beans today, with plently more to come if they grow. Overnight temperatures below 10 degrees for the last two nights.

Comment

I’d say at 10C just overnight as you still want them pollinated.
                      it’s not as an anti frost , but just to keep the temperature up a tad.

Might be worth doing an experiment - half fleeced overnight and half not and let us know your findings!
                      I've covered with some old net curtains. Should the cover be held above the plants or is it OK for it to lay on the leaves?

Comment

I just lay my fleece directly on top of plants.
                        I imagine so long as the net curtain holes aren’t large, it’d be fine to do the same.

Comment

I just lay my fleece directly on top of plants.
                          I imagine so long as the net curtainwill will holes aren’t large, it’d be fine to do the same.
                          Thanks. That will make life easier.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X