Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot70
    replied
    I do not move the faded flowers too far away as the intention is to keep them away from newly set fruits.
    During spring planning I allow a vine running bed next to my squashes with non vine varieties planted alternately. I then steer the vines across the paths in groups.
    The alternate planting has challenged me in a different way this year. I am another to have a packet of seeds that are not quite what it says on it.
    A marrow plant has gone crazy and started producing huge fruits with faint raised stripes that are mowing down everything in there path.
    I have had to prop it up with hay to allow it to cross a curious turban squash vine that came up variegated from saved seed. If the marrow crushed the stem I would loose the first two variegated fruits. I have had to steer the variegated vine all the way round two flying saucer marrow plants along the edge of a busy path.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7005.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	2529963

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    On that note, do people remove any leaves to allow the sun to get to the fruit / allow the bees to better access the flowers for pollination?
    I don't remove them for that reason, but I do remove leaves to stop them shading other plants too much, and to allow me to get easier access where the vines cross my allotment paths.

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    I do remove faded flowers to stop them dropping to the ground and attracting slugs. We do get industrial sized slugs on my allotment.
    That would likely have the opposite effect at my plot. The idea of worrying about "attracting" slugs where I am is laughable. Slugs are everywhere at all times. There's no point in worrying about attracting them, as they are already there. So if anything debris like dead flowers falling to the ground acts as a good distraction, momentarily keeping the slugs away from things you actually want to preserve.
    Last edited by ameno; 24-07-2021, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    On that note, do people remove any leaves to allow the sun to get to the fruit / allow the bees to better access the flowers for pollination?

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I do remove faded flowers to stop them dropping to the ground and attracting slugs. We do get industrial sized slugs on my allotment.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by bobbin View Post
    Ameno I couldn't see the reason for removing the male flowers either but someone else said they do. I think they thought it would direct more energy into the plant. However the male flower just dies off anyway.
    Thanks for responses.
    People often seem to hold misguided beliefs like this. It's how old wives tale start.
    But in any case, male flowers are very cheap for the plant to produce. They require very little in the way of water, protein, or any other valuable nutrients. It's why the plants produce so many of them. They also only last for 1 day each, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• bobbin
    replied
    Ameno I couldn't see the reason for removing the male flowers either but someone else said they do. I think they thought it would direct more energy into the plant. However the male flower just dies off anyway.
    Thanks for responses.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    You should never remove the male flowers. Why would you, anyway? Whether the flowers are removed or die naturally, it makes no difference whatsoever to the growth of the plant.

The only flowers you might ever want to remove are the female ones, if you want the plant to have fewer but larger fruit, rather than more, smaller fruit.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I leave all of the flowers on.
    If you only want one or two big fruits you can whip off some of the female flowers.

Leave a comment:

• bobbin
    started a topic Pumpkin query.

Pumpkin query.

Hi all.
    Can anyone tell me..
    Should I remove most of the male flowers on my pumpkin and leave only a few to pollinate the females that appear.
    I already have a number of pumpkins formed and growing so bees have done their work.
    However I need a few for back up in case I lose any fruits
    Or does it simply not matter about the male flowers being left to die back ?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X