Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot70
    replied
    I have found especially this year that squashes have been dropping leaves close to the fruits and holding onto leaves where fruits have not set.
    That is telling me to leave the shoots on.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Monty nipped out the tips of his squashes the other week, so I promptly went out and did the same!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    I find that the fruits stop setting once the first ones have set.
    The leaves on the long vines stay green and provide energy to support the fruits that have set.
    This was what happened with a variegated Turks turban from saved seed. The leaves closest to the fruits withered while the leaves on the long vine stayed fresh keeping the fruits fresh while they continued to ripen.
    Indeed. As long as you have the space, it's best to allow the vines to keep growing.
    Pinching them out does not "redirect" energy into the fruit. In fact quite the opposite, it deprives the plants of leaves and reduces their photosynthetic capabilities, leading to both smaller and less sweet squashes.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I find that the fruits stop setting once the first ones have set.
    The leaves on the long vines stay green and provide energy to support the fruits that have set.
    This was what happened with a variegated Turks turban from saved seed. The leaves closest to the fruits withered while the leaves on the long vine stayed fresh keeping the fruits fresh while they continued to ripen.

Leave a comment:

• Holly Daze
    replied
    Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    On that note, do people remove any leaves to allow the sun to get to the fruit / allow the bees to better access the flowers for pollination?
    I remove leaves and chop off the end of the vines to let the squashes get bigger. Works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
    Plott70 looking really nice .
    The telling off for growing things that are too big is another thing altogether.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Yeah, that onion squash is ripe (the plant looks on its way out, too).
    As for the Crown Prince, it looks ripe enough that it ought to ripen well enough off the plant.

Also, if you want them to store well, you need to leave the fruit somewhere sunny for a week or so, turning them every couple of days so that all surfaces get some sun exposure. This hardens the skin and allows them to keep better.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    So I think one of the onion squash might be ready. It certainly has that cork/brown stalk. What do you think Ameno? Also this is th crown Prince that came away from the stalk. Have never grown it before so am not sure what colour it is supposed to be - looks about the right colour based on pics from the internet but that is all I have to go on.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    Plott70 looking really nice .
    Last edited by Ms-T; 30-08-2021, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I have got two big squash beds this year.
    Last year I did Turks turban and they grew well and I saved some seed.
    Some of the saved seeds grew faster than expected and have clearly cross pollinated with plants on another plot where competition plants are grown due to a wild bees nest under my tool shed.
    The photos show a fruit with a blossom end that is as large as a turban ever gets with the pumpkin like part of the fruit being much larger than expected. The fruit is close to the stalk beginning to show the brown streaks indicating that it is ripe.
    The other photo shows a slightly riper fruit that is beginning to show the brown on the stalk. It has been developing a rain water puddle around the stalk but this has not caused any problems.
    The plant on the other plot was a variety that remains green when ripe.
    Moving fruits after they have set can cause the stem to split and allow insects to enter the fruit and destroy it.
    You were lucky it detached when you moved it otherwise you may well have lost it completely.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7114E.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	2532170Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7117E.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	2532171

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    So I have 4 onion squash and 4 crown Prince. The leaves on the onion squash particularly are starting to yellow and die back. I have been giving them tomato feed to keep them going. Is there a good way of knowing when the squash is ripe? Reckon the crown Prince still has growing to go before ripening, but onion squash is probably the size I was expecting them to be.
    You can tell they are ripe because they have attained their ripe colours, the skin is full matt rather than shiny, and the stalk has gone mostly brown and corky. If the stem is still green (for Crown Prince) or yellow (for onion squash) then it's not ripe yet.

Disaster ! Was just trying to move one of the crown Prince slightly so it got plenty sun and it broke off the plant. Is there anything I can do to ripen it or am I stuffed?
    That depends how ripe it was already. if it already had it's final colour (or at least mostly did) then it should ripen off the vine reasonably well. If it was still earlier than that then it will never ripen, nor store, so you would be better off using it now as some sort of summer squash.

In future, don't bother try to move fruits to get more light. They don't need light, not directly on the fruit. They'll ripen just fine in the dark. It's only the leaves of the plant itself which need plenty of light, in order to make sugars to feed the fruit with.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Disaster ! Was just trying to move one of the crown Prince slightly so it got plenty sun and it broke off the plant. Is there anything I can do to ripen it or am I stuffed?

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    So I have 4 onion squash and 4 crown Prince. The leaves on the onion squash particularly are starting to yellow and die back. I have been giving them tomato feed to keep them going. Is there a good way of knowing when the squash is ripe? Reckon the crown Prince still has growing to go before ripening, but onion squash is probably the size I was expecting them to be.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Have removed a few leaves around the pumpkins to make sure they get the sun to grow on a bit. Still having real problems with my onion squash not developing properly due to poor germination. The ones that have taken ok are doing well up the climbing frame. Learning curve for next year I think and give. It’s the first year I’m growing squashes am just pleased to have any success.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    When the fruits ripening I’ll remove a leaf or two if they’re blocking the sun,when the fruits growing let them have the shade. Flowers are always visible I think,I don’t remove leaves for the flowers.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X