Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans are more or less all there is to do now until garlic goes in on shortest day.

So it's time for a little holiday.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Took out the last of my GH Tom plants, there’s about half a dozen Toms that needs to ripen. Weeded the GH borders then tomorrow I’ll add some Dalek compost.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Finished emptying and sifting one of the communal compost bins, and used the contents to finish filling my new pallet bed.

Comment

• Transplanted some winter pansies into tubs on decking and had a bit of a shuffle round of pot positions.

Cut the lawn while it was dry. Got a couple of bags of grass cuttings to use as a mulch on allotment beds.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Planted 100 garlic cloves.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Today I pulled up half the strawberry bed (it was massive,there’s still loads of plants) & planted out about 50 of the ‘electric’ red onions I bought at the garden centre yesterday,still got around 50 left I might put in a tray or somewhere. Covered the onions with metal greenhouse shelf things to keep cats off. Pruned a bit more of the grape vine,tore the leaves up around the plant & also next to the courgette plant that has three small courgettes growing still. Cut down all the tomato plants & cucumber plants,ate the last tiny cucumber in a sandwich,tomatoes ripening on the windowsill. Also put some fat balls,seeds & mealworms out for the birds,the Robin will love all the exposed soil near to the onions,there’s loads of big worms here. I remember during the summer on a slug hunt in the dark,it was raining & some of the worms that were darting back into the soil were so long but within a second they’d be back underground

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                Planted 100 garlic cloves.
                No worries about Halloween chez Bones then...
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Weeded the new grape bed, and pulled out some of the excess strawberry runners from it.

Also dug up some of my sweet potato plants, which was a lot of work. Even just cutting the stems off was quite a bit of work. The things are a great tangled mass of vines, probably well over a hundred stems, growing some 2 metres in all directions.

Comment

• Finished digging up my sweet potatoes, then dug over the whole area and removed all of the bindweed and horsetail I could find.

Comment

• Showed broad beans.

I usually dribble a little paraffin over the seeds to put off mice but we didn't ​​​have any so I tried a few drops of Chanel cologne - that should confuse the little blighters.

Comment

• Weeded the kale and broccoli.

Comment

• Far too wet outside so sowed two trays of salad leaves indoors.

Comment

• Spent over an hour carefully covering everything tender in preparation for the frosts which may come over the next four nights.
                            Last edited by ameno; 02-11-2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

• Planted some saved sweet pea seeds, more in hope than expectation. Pulled some leeks, carrots and a celeriac for soup/stew.
                              Put a support next to the purple sprouting and removed bottom yellow leaves from brassicas.
                              Spread a bag of compost over the no dig part of the plot which I am expanding gradually according to compost availability.

Comment

• Some cutting back, mulching of roses and clematis, weeding, chopped down some plants ready to dig out and over winter, collected heaps of leaves .
                                Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X