Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulched the loganberry, forked over the soil where I plan to plant my onions.

Comment

As today was as dry as the soil is going to get for a while, I finally forked over and weeded half the front garden vegetable patch. In the process I found five parsnips

I might have got it all done if I hadn't spent the morning sanding skirting boards inside the house, but then I'd have been shattered...
      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Planted my onions sets. 50 of each of Sturon and Red Baron. They didn't take up as much space as I was expecting, and have room for about 20 more, so I might buy another packet in Poundland.

Comment

The old former school field behind us got cut by the contractor yesterday morning. It chopped up a couple of sheltered areas of dried leaves in the process. I had some time late afternoon and decided to use my petrol rotary mower to chop further and collect them while they were as dry ay they are likely to get (rain and wind predicted for several days). Result one builders bag full of chopped dry leaves sat in my big shed waiting to go and top up the bin on the allotment, very happy with that. Finally persuaded Carol that some of the leggy greens and peas needed to come out of the spare room and into the greenhouse with it's nice new bench she asked me to make two weeks ago. They are all tucked up nicely and no frost expected for a few days here. Finally I riddled and sieved some home made compost so that She can pot on some of the seedlings and sow more peas indoors.
          The fruit cage was delivered just after tea too, so I am on the starting blocks but now need to wait out the wind and rain. Really getting excited about this season.

Comment

I bought a nice rolltop bath (£10) a couple days ago, and today I collected a whole load of soil someone was giving away.
            I levelled the bath, and half filled it with soil. Now I need to fill it with water, and I shall plant my lotuses in it.

Comment

Lots of seed sowing in the greenhouse. More Clapton cauliflowers, peas, beetroot, salad leaves, mizuna, little gem and basil.

Comment

Added a second layer to one of the heated propagators. Sowed five different cucumber seeds along with grafting rootstock seeds.
                Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Planted 20 more onion sets.
                  Started digging over the patch where the goji berry used to be. Got about a quarter of it done.
                  Turned over the bed which I spread manure on last autumn. There were an obscene number of worms; at least a dozen in every spade full of soil. Some of them were almost 6 inches long.

Comment

Transplanted my lotus plants from home into the bath at the allotment. Grew them from seed last year, and now they have formed very long, thin tubers (about 8mm diameter, but 15-20cm long).

Also did some more digging of the old goji bed.

Comment

• Strung out some new beds on the left side of my plot. Soil was too 'claggy' to cultivate them though. I want to get all my beds and paths in position before covering the paths with cardboard and wood chippings in April.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Dug over the main veg bed in the back garden, and planted my leftover onion sets close together for spring onions.
                        Sowed a load of seeds.

Comment

• Planted some willow cuttings that will grow to form 5 metres of windbreak along one edge of the vegetable patch. I'll be getting some more cuttings this weekend (when my work colleague has trimmed a bit more of their windbreak) so that I can extend my new windbreak to about 10 metres. It's still cold enough up here that the cuttings should take without any problem.

Comment

• Weeded 3 beds and rehomed some self seeded violas growing in the middle of my parsnip bed.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Dug and weeded some more of the bed where the goji berry used to be. About 2/3 done now.

Comment

• Planted my first and second early potatoes. 6 Swift, 12 Charlotte.
                                Also dug some more of the old goji bed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X