Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I finished digging my potato bed (for the early and second early potatoes, anyway. The purple sprouting broccoli is where the main crop will go at the moment).

Today I pruned some stuff in the garden, fed and mulched most of my fruit trees and bushes, and potted on my grape cuttings.

The grape cuttings I only took about 7 weeks ago, and I put them several to a pot, and set them on my heated propagator in my conservatory, so that they had warm soil but cold air around the top (to encourage root growth but discourage the buds from opening too early). They now all have good roots on, so I've potted them into individual pots before they start getting tangle up. I only really need one plant, so now I have six spare grape vines to give away...

Comment

Spring clean for the shed, and almost finished constructing a coldframe/mini greenhouse (until the new (!!) staple gun fell apart in my hands)

Comment

Continued digging my deep beds. I will be doing more later. Pricked out my rosemary seedlings into individual pots. Yesterday, I planted more primulas and two pinks, a white pink and a pink pink, in the front garden, and sowed tropaeolum (nasturtium) seeds in fibre pots. I have just ordered online two big bags of shredded horse sh - er - manure, as I haven't got any compost ready to use.
        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

A gorgeous sunny day today, weeded the soft fruit area, and emptied the greenhouse ready for giving it a good clean when it’s not so warm in there!

Comment

Shredded all of the cuttings and brassica plants I had accumulated.

Comment

Yesterday I dug up and froze my remaining JA's. I did replant a few for next season.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Covered the patch where I plan to plant the potatoes with black plastic, to warm the soil.

Started weeding the raspberry patch. A lot of grass.

Comment

Made the most of being allowed to go to the plot once a day for exercise
                  Dug over and weeded this year’s brassica zone, then had a load of manure delivered and built a hotbed using today’s delivery as the base (thoroughly trod down), with roughly 2m2 of last years pumpkin bed shovelled on top.
                  All in all, a very good workout!

Comment

More weeding of the raspberry and soft fruit bed. About half done now, maybe two-thirds. Lots and lots of grass (mercifully, very little of it is couch grass).

Comment

Dismantled the brassica cage , ready for moving to its new site for this year

Comment

I've been absent a couple of months, took early retirement at christmas and been fairly busy since. Loss of the work laptop meant buying our own which finally happened last week. So newly equipped with a modern and secure device I can now rejoin the merriment hear.
                        So the extra time has had us gathering woodchip from a roadside spot and making paths between so far 9 beds, laying and inch of rotted bull manure and a sprinkling of leaf mold and home made compost.
                        We packed away the brassica cage and extra netting and have ordered a 3.5 x 2.5m fruit cage for the area where we have moved the raspberries (had to dig them out of the old location because of bindweed infestation). Gave away some raspberry canes to my sister along with a mature gooseberry bush. Next is to move 3 black current and two gooseberry bushes to the site of the new fruit cage. Again the gooseberries are infested with bindweed and the only way to be sure is to wash the roots thoroughly before replanting.
                        Spare room is the grow room with a selection of seeds propagating, we've never been this organised.

Comment

Yesterday I repotted the blueberry and bay, and repotted two of the peach seedlings.

Today I finished weeding the soft fruit bed, and also the big blackcurrant (which is apart from the other soft fruit).

Comment

Finally cleared out the hotbin - 3 containers full of quite decent compost. Cleaned all the nooks, crannies and drainage holes, and started it off again with good layer of twigs at the bottom

Comment

Weeded the loganberry, fed and mulched the soft fruit and grape vines, turned the compost bin.

Comment

Weeded the legume area, replaced a bit of path edging, and pulled up a barrow full of bramble roots from one of the disused plots we’re trying to get back in working order

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X