This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did today 2021

Just a reminder of what gardening we did in 2021.

a link to last years thread :-

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ay-2020/page29
    Location....East Midlands.

Ah, good, this topic is on this board again. I might actually remember to post in it, now.

Comment

Got a chance to do some gardening today.
      My garlic, which had been started in pots was showing roots through the bottom.
      Planted them all out in a half barrel.
      Cut down the last of the withered foliage from the dahlias.
      Tidied up the leaves on the strawberry plants and put them in the greenhouse.
      It was a cold day but it felt good to be making a start.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Planted some Babington leek seeds out in root trainers. Fingers crossed...!

Comment

It's been a cold but windless day today so I went into the garden and spread seaweed over three of the beds. I then noticed some holes have appeared in a bed that last had carrots and beetroot in. One of the holes has some soil thrown out of it so I thought it might be a rabbit. Some of the holes are only about 8cm across though so it might be rats having come in from the fields. Then I noticed that something has eaten a bit chunk out of one of the neeps and had a nibble at a couple of others. Either I now have rabbits living in the garden or giant rats. Either way, I would rather they were living somewhere else! I'm now wondering whether to lift the rest of the neeps before they all get eaten.

Comment

Purple Primrose. I dont know where about you are living but wondering if it might be squirrels in your garden.
            I have had two of them in my garden in the last week since I put out nuts for the birds.
            They dug up and chewed some of my spring bulbs.
            Since * took the nuts away I haven't seen them.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Pruned my grapevines and took half a dozen cuttings from one of them.
              Chopped up the remains of my tomatillo and cape gooseberry plants for the compost bin.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Bramble, but I live on a Scottish island where there aren't any squirrels. Rabbits and rats are the only animals I can think of that could have made the holes and there are definitely both in the fields around the house.

Comment

Good weather for gardening today so I prepared the area I'm shortly going to be planting some raspberry canes in. The unidentified rodent has been digging in a compost heap and chucking it across a bed. I do hope it's a rabbit. If not, it's a monster of a rat.

Comment

The raspberries are now planted: 12 Glen Prosen and four each of Glen Ample, Polka and Autumn Bliss. There's four Sweet Sunshine to go in large pots once they arrive.

Comment

Dug out one of two willow coppices at the allotment. A lot of couch grass and bind weed around the base of it, too.

Comment

Dug over and thoroughly weeded the space where the willow used to be. Removed half a bucket of couch grass and bind weed roots.
                        Will hopefully dig out the other willow tomorrow.

Comment

Finally got up to the allotment and wrapped my brugmansia (been in greenhouse since late October) in fleece. Kicking myself as I should have done it weeks ago before this cold snap kicked in but it was looking ok, albeit leafless, yesterday with no sign of frost damage or rot.

Paid rent for allotment for 2021 and also enquired about a second plot as the one we have is just a half size and simply not big enough now that hubby Neil has begun to take an interest and is commandeering half.

Potted up 12 elephant garlic.....again, something that should have been done last month!!!
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Too cold, wet and windy to venture out to do any gardening so I made 32 plastic milk bottles into pots instead. Did manage to nip outside briefly to get some celery and a neep for adding to the chicken stew I made for dinner.

Comment

Managed to almost dig out the remaining willow (it's a lot bigger than the first one). Just two rather thick roots remain, too thick to chop through even with my sharp spade. I shall bring a saw tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X