Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sowing of Pot Leeks haven't germinated very well, only one showing, will try a second sowing, old seed might be the problem. Need to get them going as the chillies need to go in the propagator next.

Comment

Cut the autumn raspberries (unknown variety) down and lay the canes about to try and deter fox from digging up the rhubarb every single week.

Tried to weed the raspberries- some nasty evil weed grows right in the roots of them and is starting to take over. About 30% success, but I've got the knack of pulling the root of it out now so next session will be faster.

Looked in dismay at my fleece covering for the broad beans (to protect from birds) which has been ripped in 3 places by what looks like a fox.

Comment

Finished digging out the last willow coppice, then dug out the area and removed plenty of weed roots, and back-filled the hole.
        Still a bit more to dig over and removed the bindweed from before I'm ready to plant the quince tree there, though.

Comment

I have a new pond. It happened overnight after I'd got part way through digging a trench in a vegetable bed and had to stop due to it getting dark. There was an astonishing amount of rain overnight and I now have a trench full of water up to about an inch below grass level. The garden has gone from nice and workable to completely swampy in just a few hours. It's going to be a while before it drains well enough to be workable again.

Comment

Finished digging and removing the weed roots from the area where the willows used to be. Dug in some used compost and ground gypsum to improve the soil.
            My new quince should be arriving next week.

Comment

Sowed my first lot of sweet peas today.
              Usually sown in the autumn but late this time around.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Transferred some garlic cloves (Kingsland Wight) into bigger containers (made from 1 litre plastic milk bottles) as they were getting a bit pot bound and the garden is too wet to plant them out.

Picked some celery and dug up some leeks. Rinsed the soil off in the new pond: it's all freshly fallen rainwater so should be fine. Made a tasty soup with the celery and leeks to go with the granary loaf I'd made earlier.

Comment

Planted the anemone tubers I ordered a few weeks ago.

Dug over the patch in the back garden where I plan to plant my new apricot tree. I only dug it a year ago, but I removed a massive amount of bindweed from an area only about 1/2m square. Several loganberry suckers, too.
                  The loganberry used to be so well behaved, never suckering (unlike their thuggish neighbours, the raspberries), but then last winter I split the clump and took half of it to the allotment. Ever since then, all the bits of severed root have been sprouting left, right and centre.

Comment

There was a brief sunny spell this afternoon so I transferred some more garlic cloves (Early Purple Wight) into cut off milk bottles. It's been raining almost constantly for days. The impromptu pond is looking even more like a proper pond. If it stays this wet, I may end up with a curlew nesting in the garden again. The youngsters are very cute - small balls of fluff on stilts.

Comment

Finally cleaned out, and washed the glass of No2 greenhouse. Made a sulfur candle and fumigated it.

Catalogued the seeds in the seed box and worked out when they need sowing.
                      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

I went to the local garden centre today (I still call it wyevale ) all their seed packets are half price,I saved over £30 Got some seed potatoes Charlotte,arran pilot & sharpes express,they’re chitting on the windowsill now. Also got my sister a voucher,bird feeder,bird food selection & stuff,it’s her birthday soon. I got mum a couple of things too including some triple chocolate biscuits. It’s been a good day,they’re having a sale of their Christmas items 25% off of anyone’s interested. Here’s a photo of the new seeds,the sweet peas are called old times & mumsie,those two colours will look lovely together,I’ll sow them soon
                        Last edited by Jungle Jane; 20-01-2021, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Planted my new apricot and quince trees, the apricot in the back garden and the quince at the allotment.
                          The apricot really was massive for a 2 year tree. About 4cm across the trunk at the base.

Comment

It's cold outside today but nice and sunny so I managed to do a few things in the garden.

Planted shallots (Jermor) into pots. The ground is too wet (and covered in hail stones) so the shallots have gone into a cold frame.

Found a tray of random bulbs in the garage that I'd forgotten about. I'd dug them up in about September to remove them from a bed so that I could put other things there. The bulbs were just starting to sprout so I've planted them. There's a mixture of types but I'm not completely sure what - probably small types of daffodil, dwarf tulips and possibly chinodoxa.

Comment

Sowed three types of minature tomatos today.
                              2 Red Robin.
                              2 Micro Tom.
                              2 Balconi Red.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Did some weeding around the Akebia, then fed it with some poultry manure and mulched it with carboard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X