X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    ^We have wild boar locally too. They've never had a go at our sweet corn, even when planted quite a way from the house. I'm more worried about rodents. I saw the piece on the Beeb about mice in Australia and we're nothing like as bad as that, but it seems to be a plague year for us for rodents, millipedes, slugs and grasshoppers.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    We’ve had to resow our sweet corn too. Nothing came up - all rotted

Not grown them for a while as apparently the wild boar love them and we have them in the wood next to our house.
    Dont really want to tempt fate, but I really miss the flavour of freshly picked sweet corn.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Round one of Earlibird sweet corn yesterday. Might seem late but it was in modules as soon as the seeds arrived. Very poor germination on my previous lot, so starting again. Should be OK. I once successfully grew Lark from seeds sown 23 June. And Earlibird looks to be quicker to harvest than Lark.

Will sow a second lot in two or three weeks.

Today, Merveille de Piemonte beans.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post
    Hell, no. I'm never touching Galeux d'Eysines again. They were disgusting.
    No, "Red Warty Thing" is the actual name of the squash.
    Never heard of those. I've just looked them up. Impressive appearance.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Not a Galeux d'Eysines, I presume. Or are you giving them a second chance?
    Hell, no. I'm never touching Galeux d'Eysines again. They were disgusting.
    No, "Red Warty Thing" is the actual name of the squash.

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Potted up a sprouted Red warty thing squash seed.
    Not a Galeux d'Eysines, I presume. Or are you giving them a second chance?

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Potted up a sprouted Red warty thing squash seed.
    Potted up five rooted sweet potato cuttings.

Leave a comment:

• Sweet savory
    replied
    Sowed super runner beans 6 modules now and will do 6 at beg of June so they don’t all come at once. Well that’s the plan.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Sowed some round carrots in a container in the greenhouse and a few Golden Acre Primo cabbages, that's the Coleslaw sorted lol.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied

As long as your first frosts are not before late October then you should still be fine. I'd keep them on heat until they germinate, though, to make sure they come up as quickly as possible.
    I lost my first lot of squash year before last after planting them out, so I resowed in mid-June, and I still got a crop (albeit smaller than normal). I would recommend a non-butternut type of winter squash, though, as butternuts take longer to mature.
    Looking at last year I had a cold night of 3c on 9th Oct and 1st frost on 4th Nov, so think I'll give them a go then. Thanks Ameno.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by peanut View Post
    Thinking about sowing more Squash as germination has been dire this year. Bit late though so not sure if it's worth it...
    As long as your first frosts are not before late October then you should still be fine. I'd keep them on heat until they germinate, though, to make sure they come up as quickly as possible.
    I lost my first lot of squash year before last after planting them out, so I resowed in mid-June, and I still got a crop (albeit smaller than normal). I would recommend a non-butternut type of winter squash, though, as butternuts take longer to mature.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Thinking about sowing more Squash as germination has been dire this year. Bit late though so not sure if it's worth it...

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Potted up some sprouted black turtle beans.
    Potted up two sprouted cucumber seeds, as both of my previous seedlings have succumbed to fungus gnat larvae. I really need to work out some way of protecting them. I might try plant the seeds in pots of soil, rather than compost, in future. It's decomposing organic matter (i.e. the compost itself) which they primarily eat, the plants just end up being collateral damage, so they may not lay eggs on soil in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Sowed more salads

Leave a comment:

• MelanieSW
    replied
    Sowed French parsley, and filled gaps where the slugs had decimated the peas/mangetout.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X