Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samphire - Growing Tips

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Samphire - Growing Tips

    We're huge fans of Samphire in our house and can often be found at one of the local beaches foraging for it when the time and tide is right.

    I've been having thoughts about trying to grow some in a pot / trough. Does anyone grow it and would like to share their tips / tricks for a successful harvest?

    Thanks!
    "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
    - Henry Beard

  • #2
    Peteyd I've not grown it but until someone comes along with info have a read at this older thread :-

    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...65389-samphire

    hope this helps.

    Comment


    • #3
      Might be tricky to cultivate sampphire as I reckon it needs specific saline and estuarine conditions. So I grew Agretti this year in a trough which I kept well watered, occasionally with water with a little sea salt in it and although germination rates were poor, those that did germinate have done well. It's not as nice as sampphire, but is crisp and mildly salty. DT Browns sell the seeds.
      Are y'oroight booy?

      Comment


      • #4
        Now Agretti is something else I would like to grow. I've had it a couple of times, once on a cookery course at river cottage (i think we braised it in butter and served with fish) and the other was pickled along with broad beans as a starter in a restaurant. Both were rather delicious.

        Those i have spoken to about Agretti speak of its notorious reluctance to germinate. Most places that sell them refer to this somewhere.

        Some of the reading I have found on Samphire growing talks about giving it a good slosh of salty water every week (hence the need to grow in a pot / trough) so I guess it would be the same theme as the Agretti although it wouldn't need quite as much.
        "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
        - Henry Beard

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Peteyd View Post
          Some of the reading I have found on Samphire growing talks about giving it a good slosh of salty water every week (hence the need to grow in a pot / trough) so I guess it would be the same theme as the Agretti although it wouldn't need quite as much.
          I'd be wary of run off if you are giving it salt water that often. You should probably put the pot on feet in a tray, to catch the water draining out (the feet are to keep the pot itself out of the water, as presumably the plant doesn't want to sit in water).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ameno View Post

            I'd be wary of run off if you are giving it salt water that often. You should probably put the pot on feet in a tray, to catch the water draining out (the feet are to keep the pot itself out of the water, as presumably the plant doesn't want to sit in water).
            If it's marsh samphire it would normally get very wet twice a day so would probably be OK sitting in water?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post

              If it's marsh samphire it would normally get very wet twice a day so would probably be OK sitting in water?
              Probably, yeah. Either way it needs to go in a tray, though, so stop the salt water draining into the soil.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ameno View Post

                Probably, yeah. Either way it needs to go in a tray, though, so stop the salt water draining into the soil.
                Very good point. It would be marsh samphire as apposed to rock. I might give it a try, like you say popping the pot in a soaking tray to stop any run off.
                "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                - Henry Beard

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Recent Blog Posts

                Collapse
                Working...
                X