X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot70
    replied
    We also had "mickey taking" thunder with half a dozen drops of rain for most of the afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Pen we had a thunderstorm this afternoon it lasted from 1 to 4 ish it did rain but only for 4 or 5 mins great bit spots that dried as soon as they landed.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    The Met Office have now extended their amber extreme heat warning to N Ireland until Friday. There are also yellow and amber thunderstorm warnings for the eastern half of the country from the midlands southwards.

The storms are moving only slowly, so if you catch one it could last some time.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-07-20
    Last edited by Penellype; 20-07-2021, 03:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    I think we are a fair way off a drought as we had a very wet spell not that long ago. It looks likely that the hot spell will break with thunderstorms at the weekend, although there is some uncertainty as to how far north these will get. In any case it is likely to be much cooler and more unsettled next week.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I looked at that extreme heat warning and wondered if it would be like 1976 when they appointed a minister for the drought and a day or two later the rain started with a huge thunder storm.
    The UV feels slightly less than last year when the top of my head got burned. The rest of me is OK as long as I build up a tan before the sun gets too strong in the spring.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    The Met Office have released their first ever amber extreme heat warning for the south west of the UK into south Wales. This covers today until Thursday from 4pm to midnight, but to be frank it is going to be uncomfortably hot most of the time. Scattered thunderstorms are also a possibility.

Please also be aware that UV levels are extremely high in the sunshine and it won't take long to burn.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by ghexton View Post
    Penellype Hope things are well.
    Whats august like? heat wave? i hope.
    Think there is some big tropical storms over the other side of the pond.
    The beginning of August currently looks more changeable and cooler, but it is too far away to be sure. Some of the models bring back the high pressure and possibly the heat further into August, others don't. At this timescale it is little better than guesswork to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    Last year was less hot but with less haze and the top of my head got burned.
    I just need a few hours before the sun gets too high in the early spring and then I can go out in it.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Plot….my father was like that - first time in the sun for several months and lashings of olive oil () and he’d be dark brown the next day.
    No idea where that gene went to but I certainly didn’t get it

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Feeling sorry for my daughter….28C and a teething baby, not a good combination

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I am to some extent able to cope with the sun as I tan quite easily. There is nothing stopping me getting overheated though.
    The other problem is that I start looking like I am from a hot country.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Thanks Pen.
    I spend most of my outdoor time under the gazebo I nip out do a bit then scurry back into the shade Early mornings and evening are the best times to garden just now fo rme.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
    It looks like my fare skinned other half is going to end up all pink and crabby over the weekend.
    I know the feeling - this sort of weather seriously limits the amount of time I can spend gardening unless I can find some shade. It takes me about 10 minutes to burn, and about the same to start feeling sick and dizzy if I don't wear a hat.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    It looks like my fare skinned other half is going to end up all pink and crabby over the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    Thanks Pen. ..will get the watering can out ...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X