X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Thanks Pen

I've still got tender seedling on the window sills and other seeding in the GH they look like staying there longer.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    WARNING - despite newspaper hype about a heatwave, there is a distinct trend towards a cold spell in the last week of April. It is too far off to be certain, and as always at this range the models show a lot of scatter, but the scenario that causes cold, which is high pressure moving towards Greenland resulting in a northerly wind, is one that has appeared repeatedly over the winter and is distinctly plausible.

Do not rule out the possibility of some sharp night frosts and it is possible that there may be some snow on high ground, and even a dusting to low levels if the colder scenarios verify. Don't put away the fleece just yet!

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    -2C this morning and plenty of frost. Thanks for the warning Pen

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by sandspider View Post
    Lows of 1C ish for us. But we're in a little frost trap, so I'll bring my trees in anyway. Roll on proper spring, and less rain!
    Hopefully less rain coming up once the current low pressure system moves away over the weekend. Probably not completely dry, but less horribly wet.

Leave a comment:

• sandspider
    replied
    Lows of 1C ish for us. But we're in a little frost trap, so I'll bring my trees in anyway. Roll on proper spring, and less rain!

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Thanks Pen it looks like either 0c or 1c Sunday night for us depending which site I look at.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    A couple of potentially chilly nights coming up over the weekend with ground frost likely particularly on Sunday night. It could be cold enough for air frost in vulnerable locations. Check your local forecast and protect vulnerable plants if required.
    Last edited by Penellype; 31-03-2023, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sandspider
    replied
    Thanks P. I want to start planting out eucalyptus trees! But perhaps I'll just put them outside in pots for now...

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by sandspider View Post
    My forecasts are now saying lows of 3 or 4c over the next couple of says, not 0 or -1. We shall see. I won't be putting any indoor plants out till Tuesday anyway!
    Be careful - it can still get cold again - there is some model support for a cold Easter. The trouble with the sort of pattern that we are currently in is that the temperature swings wildly from warm to cold and back again as low pressures move from west to east, often with a transient ridge of high pressure in between (as we have today). As the lows move east, if they are far enough south, they pull in a cold northerly wind behind them. Until this pattern changes there will be a risk of cold nights.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
    Thanks Pen, looking at a couple of sites we're down to -2 on Sunday.
    Ours hasn't altered much they now say -1 as the lowest.

Leave a comment:

• sandspider
    replied
    My forecasts are now saying lows of 3 or 4c over the next couple of says, not 0 or -1. We shall see. I won't be putting any indoor plants out till Tuesday anyway!

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Wow..thanks Pen..we’re down to -1C Mon and Tuesday nights. Hadn’t realised

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Thanks Pen, looking at a couple of sites we're down to -2 on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    The models are still going for a cold snap, particularly Sunday to Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Frost is very likely at night, so be prepared to bring in or cover anything vulnerable

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Good news for now then!…thanks Pen

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X