• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post
    It's probably pea wilt.
    It's a type of foot rot, usually caused by Fusarium fungus species in the soil. If you look at the stem near the ground, you'll find the lowest leaves are yellow (if not dead), and the stem at ground level will be brown or black.
    I suspect a lot of people just dismiss it as the pea plants having reached the end of their natural life ("run out of steam", as said above), as the only obvious sign of infection is at soil level so it often goes unnoticed.

I get it all the time. There's nothing you can do to outright prevent it, but you can reduce infection rates through proper crop rotation and being very careful not to damage the stems of the plants when you plant out or weed (as the fungus can get in more easily if there is damage). More often than not, it doesn't attack until the plants have already cropped, so you can still grow peas successfully, you just won't get more than one flush of flowers per plant.
    That's very interesting ameno and explains why I sometimes get a 2nd flush of flowers but the plants die before producing pods. I'd always thought it odd that they went to the trouble of making flowers that wouldn't fruit, and I do often see black at the bottom of the stems but thought that was just normal for peas.

Leave a comment:

• Cinderellao9
    replied
    thank you both for your reply, i think i might have damaged a root while weeding, i pulled up a weed and a root came up with it, i dug a hole and replanted it... probably giving way to bacteria. i will take a look a the stem and leaves tomorrow, i am disappointed as it is the first crop i have successfully grown enough of to eat at several meals, it was a good achievement!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    It's probably pea wilt.
    It's a type of foot rot, usually caused by Fusarium fungus species in the soil. If you look at the stem near the ground, you'll find the lowest leaves are yellow (if not dead), and the stem at ground level will be brown or black.
    I suspect a lot of people just dismiss it as the pea plants having reached the end of their natural life ("run out of steam", as said above), as the only obvious sign of infection is at soil level so it often goes unnoticed.

I get it all the time. There's nothing you can do to outright prevent it, but you can reduce infection rates through proper crop rotation and being very careful not to damage the stems of the plants when you plant out or weed (as the fungus can get in more easily if there is damage). More often than not, it doesn't attack until the plants have already cropped, so you can still grow peas successfully, you just won't get more than one flush of flowers per plant.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Hi Cinderella and welcome to the Vine
    Sounds like your plants have just ran out of steam, they do that. Depending whereabouts you are and what the weather will be doing there could be just enough time to get another lot started.

Leave a comment:

• Cinderellao9
    started a topic Help with mangetout

Help with mangetout

I am a very new grower, I have recently had a really good crop of mangetout, I kept picking them as they grew, but all of a sudden the leaves have dropped, its gone very sorry looking, no more peas growing. Doesn't look thick and full of life... Looks like it's dying! Has it finished growing? It is because the weather turned? Should I dig it up?

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X