Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this Water Hemlock Dropwort in my garden (and what to do if so)?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Water Hemlock Dropwort in my garden (and what to do if so)?

I casually asked my partner a couple of days ago - "what's that stuff growing down there"? We're starting to take our first steps into foraging and so some plants I've not previously taken an interest in now have me curious.

She later took a look on her laptop and seems it might the most poisonous plant on the UK!

So can anyone help to ID for sure whether this is Water Hemlock Dropwort? We've got loads of it! Mostly growing on the banks of the stream, but some is actually in the stream as per one of the photos.

If it is, are we best to try and get rid of it (with all of the necessary safety precautions of course)? We have a dog that like to eat grass (and all manner of stuff) so that's our main concern. But also, sheep and cattle graze in nearby feels and we wouldn't want to be responsible for spreading it to those places.

On the other hand, we do like to encourage wildlife in the garden so if it is good for wildlife it would be interesting to hear about that too.

If any photos are needed of a particular aspect to help ID, please let me know.

Many thanks

I would put some photos on I-spot.
    https://www.ispotnature.org/
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Some pictures would help. Of the whole plant, and a closeup of the leaves and stems.

Anyway, hemlock water dropwort is very common, so I wouldn't worry about things like "introducing" it to farmer's land. They doubtless already have it. It can also only grow in wet ground, like in ditches or along streams, so it will never spread into the fields themselves.

If it does turn out to be hemlock water dropwort, your dog eating it may be a concern, however. You could try to get rid of it, but I feel you may struggle. It has big tuberous roots, and will grow back from any large-ish sections left behind, and the seeds will doubtless be about the place, too. And since it's by a waterway, using weedkiller is out of the question, so it will need removing by hand. Naturally, you will need protective gear. Cover all skin, and wear goggles and a face mask.
      It may be easier just to fence off that section of the garden to prevent access by the dog.

As for attracting wildlife, it's an umbellifer, so the flowers are quite attractive to pollinating insects, but that's it. Nothing else would dare touch the stuff.

Comment

Hi

I was planning on adding some photos but the new website was playing up and I wasn't able to. I have now uploaded them to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q_...6OdqylnGDKvcq2

I have also since sent the photos etc to a bushcraft/forager and he says he thinks it probably is WHD.

The plan is to pull it up as best I can, even if I can't get it all or eradicate. I'll do my best! And fully clad in protective gear of course - if I can get it in this day and age!

One thing I am not sure about - do I need to worry about the "fumes" when burning it? Should I wear a face mask then as well?

Comment

I would just put the roots out to sun dry and then compost it. The compost heap may well be enough without drying the roots first.
          The toxin in it is far too fragile to survive the compost heap. You will recover useful minerals that it has extracted from the water.
          I always chuck ragwort and nettles in the compost and have never had a problem.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Yeah, that's hemlock water dropwort, no mistake.
            As said above, I would just compost the top growth. The toxins should all degrade in the composting process (read this, if you are worried:
            http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/w...composting.pdf
            Same with the roots, as above: dry, then compost. They may well die in the compost heap, anyway, seeing as they need copious water to grow, but better safe than sorry.

Comment

It's not that I don't believe you guys re composting... but the idea makes me very nervous I've never been the best at composting (it's one of the endless things on my to do list - must learn how to make better compost!) but even if I was with something this deadly I'd have my concerns.

I've done some reading RE burning and opinions seem very mixed and divided. So I'm not sure whether that's such a good idea either.

I can see the sense in just leaving them on the bank seeing as that's what would happen naturally in the autumn anyhow (aside from the roots, but I could destroy them some other way). But what I don't like so much about that it is it would be unsightly, and - and this could be me being daft - I'd worry about wildlife coming along and having a munch. But it might end up being my preferred method. I'd pull them all up first. Then chop the roots off and bag them up whilst leaving all the top growth on the banks to rot down.

But I'm not totally decided yet and if anyone has more to say regarding disposal, I'm all ears

Cheers ears
              Last edited by Russel Sprout; 10-05-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Still undecided, but have written to a few people for guidance and will update when I get responses.

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

I have it growing in my streams which are my animals' water supply. I applaud your concern. It is a perpetual problem for us and a pain to keep under control. The roots are more poisonous than the leaves. We are going to try running the flame thrower over it this year to hopefully kill off the top growth. If I pull it up I bag it and burn it which might just be an expression of how much I loath it.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Thanks for the reply marchogaeth and good luck with that flame thrower! Will you shout "Say hello to my little friend" before pulling the trigger?

How many years have you been a it for?

And when you burn it (in the bonfire and/or with the flame thrower) do you worry about the fumes being poisonous?

Comment

The flame thrower is new this year. I've pulled it with a rake or by hand previously. The flame thrower only heats the leaves up enough to kill them - it's not a burn. I don't inhale the bonfire and would expect the fumes to be sufficiently dispersed not to be an issue.
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Well, removal started in earnest today and will continue tomorrow. I decided in the end to remove the roots for drying then burning, and leave the foliage piled up on the bank but at a safe distance from the stream.

Stupid question... if the flowers are only just forming now, does that mean they are well off being seed and leaving the foliage piled up won't cause other new plants to grow from it?

Also, does the plant grow only from it's seeds? Or is it one of these plants that will regrow from every tiny piece of root that's left?

I've looked up both questions but found no answers. Probably because they're stupid questions!

Ta

Comment

If the flowers are only just opening then there is no risk of them setting seed after pulling them up, don't worry.

It can grow back from any large-ish piece of tuber, but small fragments shouldn't regrow, and the thin roots that come off the tubers definitely won't regrow.

Be sure to wear rubber gloves and long sleeves.

Comment

Thanks ameno - all super helpful stuff

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X