parsnips ready ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parsnips ready ?

my parsnip are already large the top of the root is about the same size as a tennis ball and the foliage is about 3 ft tall. they look ready to pull but there not supposed to be ready til early autumn. they did go in early but should i wait
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

You could try one. But the flavour improves with a frost.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Is that really true about the frost? Surely the frost would only penetrate about a couple of inches deep. Would freezing the parsnip before thawing and cooking have the same effect?
      Just curious because I have a few parsnips that look ready and am longing to get at 'em!
      Last edited by baggyman; 27-06-2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

well i couldnt wait so ive pulled the beauty. see pics. it is 7" long and 2.5 " wide.
        Attached Files
        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

When did you sow them? They look fine. You could always mimic the "frost effect" by storing in the fridge for a bit before you use them. Apparently the frost turns the starch in the roots into sugar so they taste sweeter.

Comment

Freeze em you got nothing to loose.Gardening is all about trial and error!!!!
            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

I can't see the roots on mine, but the foliage is about 2ft tall. Hope there is something going on underground!?
              pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can eat your parsnips any time you like Hawthorns. Eat them as babies or leave in the ground til huge. Enjoy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My dad always told me, that if you leave your parsnips in the ground until after the first frosts then they will be sweeter than before. I have never experimented to disprove the theory.
                  I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I started eating mine about a month ago. They're huge! They were so big I had difficulty pulling them up in one piece. Tasted delicious. Don't mean to brag, but they're one of my few successes.
                    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

i pulled up some baby carrots yesterday, and thought i'd pull up the biggest parsnip, it was about half the size of my little finger ..... i guess they take longer than carrots?

Comment

I "pulled" up a few parsnips today. Broke a finger nail trying to dig one out, wiggled about with the fork to loosen the soil and still had a fight on my hands. Don't come out easy do they?
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I wiggled the soil around my first sowing parsnip, which went in the lottie about mid april. The neck is about 2-3 inches wide.

I'm leaving it until the first frost, or until christmas; whichever is first. Then, taking it to my brother's, for him to cook. We don't have proper roast at Xmas, we have chilli, so my bro does a roast when we go there. Hopefully, we can provide ALL the veg this year for it.

Although, I don't want Xmas too soon, it comes around too quickly as it is.

Comment

If they are big enough, eat em! You never know when something might attack em.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                              I "pulled" up a few parsnips today. Broke a finger nail trying to dig one out, wiggled about with the fork to loosen the soil and still had a fight on my hands. Don't come out easy do they?
                              Cut off the foliage, push a bulb planter deeply over the parsnip and pull.
                              Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X