Turmeric/ Haldi

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turmeric/ Haldi

A couple of years ago, the HDRA magazine ran a feature on how to grow turmeric. You can buy the roots in your local Indian greengrocer, the author reckoned. Ever since then, I’ve had friends all over the country asking in Asian shops for turmeric root or “Haldi root,” but so far no shop has ever even heard of the stuff.

Has anyone here ever seen it for sale anywhere?
    Mat

No way even the Indian people buy it in the powder form over here. Were you told this on April 1st by any chance? Let me know if they do supply the roots but I am almost certain from observing in my youger days that the powder comes from the flowers which has been called a poor mans saffron. It doesn't taste the same though so I wouldn't recomend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
      You can buy the roots in your local Indian greengrocer, the author reckoned.
      You can, honest guv. Although technically, we didn't do so; my OH told his sourcing woes to a colleague, who then kindly put his mum on the scent, and after a couple of months (!) she tracked some down for us, which we exchanged for some of our home grown chillis! I'm not 100% certain but believe it is in season in the autumn so you could start staking out likely venues now - according to this place PLANT CULTURES - Growing turmeric African and Caribbean markets/grocers may also be a source - a big Chinese supermarket/wholesaler we use also has a big fresh section and stocks ingredients for other cuisines so it could be worth spreading your net a bit wider.

It's more my other half's department so I can ask him for more details about sourcing and care later on if you still need information - we don't have a lot left, unfortunately.

Somewhere like Arne Herbs or Poyntzfield might supply plants?
      Blog.

Comment

That’s brilliant, thanks, Bug - it’s a relief to know that the stuff is actually out there somewhere! If you do have any more information on where to get some root, then please do post.
        Mat

Comment

There's a UK company online called Spices of India - they always have fresh tumeric in stock - yellow and white - just look under fresh fruit and veg. I've bought from them and its fresh and grows well - although takes a long time to start off.

Comment

You can buy fresh turmeric root, as well as many other fresh lovely Asian ingredients, like galangal and curry leaves at the New Loon Moon grocery in China Town, in London (near Leicester Sq Tube) I go for all my Indian, Chinese and Thai ingredients. Nice central location, grumpy staff but loads of inventory. I potted some turmeric root and some galangal with pink shoots in pots on a South facing window sill yesterday. Going to put a polythene bag around the turmeric, after reading a tip on another site-until shoots have popped up. I think keeping it alive through cooler months, even indoors will be a challenge. I have read too, that you can't really expect much on the way of cropping from your home-grown, just a lovely plant with pretty flowers.
            Whatever you do, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks NeilS - I went online and Spices of India is my new favourite shop! They have loads of great things to try and grow..including ginger (had to give it a try as part of the ginger thread!) and galangal!
              Singleton Allotments Society
              Ashford Gardeners - A gardening club (and so much more) for the greenfingered of Ashford and surrounding areas. Non-Ashfordites welcome .

Comment

Bought a little packet of fresh Turmeric in Morrisons, Erith. Only cost £1.50.

Comment

Originally posted by bernice View Post
                  Bought a little packet of fresh Turmeric in Morrisons, Erith. Only cost £1.50.
                  I think you will find that he has some by now, bernice. The date at the top of the first post is when this thread first started !
                  Mark you, I was all set to PM him and offer a couple of wee bits of corm I have, it was only when nothing happened that I looked at the date and realised...
                  Thanks for highlighting this post though, I was toying with the idea of growing the wee bitties and this has decided me to try...
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X