Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if you plant 'supermarket' shallots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well worth a try keepitgreen.

Comment

I bought some gorgeous shallots from Costco thinking they would be great for showing. Not a single one grew. I'm certain they had been treated to prevent growth so beware

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
        I bought some gorgeous shallots from Costco thinking they would be great for showing. Not a single one grew. I'm certain they had been treated to prevent growth so beware
        Treating them to inhibit sprouting is pretty common for a lot of veg these days, heaven forbid the stuff didn't look photoshop fresh lol.
        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Well worth a try keepitgreen.
          Well we shall see!!

I will update! I always grow supermarket tatties too!!

Comment

I bought some cheap shallots from Morrisons, end of last year. Some I kept to eat, the rest were planted out. They're all sprouting now! I still have a few unplanted ones and 2 of them are also sprouting so they'll be going in the ground soon. Definitely worth a try!!

Comment

I have shallots saved from last year's ones - thanks for the reminder, I'll plant them over the weekend and see how they do.

I've never tried planting supermarket shallots, I'd love to hear how others get on with them.
              My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm trying shallots from seed this year as I fell in love when I tried pickling them and thought that it would be cheaper than buying sets. However, I'm not so sure now, as a chap in the village told me that you have to wait two seasons for a crop from seed? Is this true?
                I think I'll have to invest in some sets as well. Can't bear the thought of a Sweet-Pickled-Shallot-Free year!
                When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X