Growing potatoes from supermarket potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
    I don't think (but I may be wrong) that Mark Riga was thinking along those lines. I think he's planting a few seed potatoes this year to increase his stock of seed potatoes for next year.
    Yes, I've planted 3 of each, hoping to get about 18 of each for planting next year, which would be 15 for growing eating potatoes in 2021 and 3 to provide another 18 for year 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
      Yes, I've planted 3 of each, hoping to get about 18 of each for planting next year, which would be 15 for growing eating potatoes in 2021 and 3 to provide another 18 for year 2022.
      Out of interest, why risk it? It's not the same as self-saving other seeds, is the risk of virus or other soil-born problems worth it?
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

The only reason I mentioned the commercial one was to show just how complicated modern farming is, and things which seem really easy are actually really complex, but you just don't see them.

Do keep us posted as to how the seed potato experiment goes.

I like the idea of burying a chest freezer, I might keep an eye on my parent's old chest freezer. (goes off to check rules on burying stuff in plot).

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
          Out of interest, why risk it? It's not the same as self-saving other seeds, is the risk of virus or other soil-born problems worth it?
          A variety of reasons:
          1.This year, I pre-ordered Carolus potatoes but when time came to receive them, i was told sorry don't have them this year and other places I looked didn't have them either. I did find a pack eventually at a vegan food shop in Chorlton that sells the odd seeds and plants.

2. they are expensive. This year I about £20.00 on seed potatoes.

3. I think you can import soil-born problems in seeds you buy, not only potatoes. If you do have soil-born problems, buying seeds in is not going to fix it.
          I intend to grow them where potatoes haven't been grown to my knowledge for 35 years and coverd with fleece to deter aphids, shouldn't get a virus. L.D. Hills (of the HDRA) sees no reason not to save your own and advises what he would do in a pamphlet.

This was posted last year by burnie, (same story but BBC source) :
          https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...cyst-nematode/

Comment

I have done it and will again, but not on a large scale. Sort of one big container. It is usually Anya that I grow and I only put 4 or 5 in a container.

Unsure of the virus aspect. My thoughts are along the line that a supermarket will buy the best they can and they have a financial interest in you having good potatoes. A breeder of potatoes wants to sell to you knowing you are not going to eat them.

If you can find somewhere allowing you to buy say 5 or whatever then maybe get from there as the selection is better. Quality unsure of.

Have a vague memory that there is a virus level allowed in seed potatoes. So may be worth a good search before declaring which is best.

Suspect my "problem" is that a small bag of 20-25 seed potatoes (Wilko) is a waste to me, and it may be the same for others.

This year thoughts were container of Anya or PFA and another of Rooster.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X