• Show
Clear All

• 2 litres of blackcurrants.

Comment

• A couple of lettuce.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Yesterday courgette and cherry tomatoes. Today broad bean, komatsuna and some more whitecurrant.

Comment

• Just basil, radishes and raspberries today.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• A big handful of mangetout.

Comment

• Two cucumbers, tomatoes, raspberries and strawberries.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• I haven't been bothered to report this until now, but I suppose I ought to:
                I'm up to 10 litres of "windfalls" from my Beauty of Bath apple tree now (they're not really windfalls; the damn tree just sheds them before they're properly ripe).
                They're good for cooking, and if you leave them somewhere warm for about 3 or 4 days they usually ripen enough to eat raw.

Comment

• Big tub of french beans
                  Two beetroot.

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post
                    I haven't been bothered to report this until now, but I suppose I ought to:
                    I'm up to 10 litres of "windfalls" from my Beauty of Bath apple tree now (they're not really windfalls; the damn tree just sheds them before they're properly ripe).
                    Isn't that June drop. Our trees (and the ones round us) drop anytime from June into July. They're still dropping.

Harvest yesterday, the rest of the Charlottes (great year, good yield, good quality), beetroot and spring onions.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Isn't that June drop. Our trees (and the ones round us) drop anytime from June into July. They're still dropping.
                      Nope. Beauty of Bath is a very early variety - in my garden, it's usually fully ripe at the end of July. For this tree, the "June drop" happens in May.
                      These are pretty much fully grown but not yet fully ripe apples (the seeds inside are brown and mature) falling off by the dozen.
                      It's a problem endemic to Beauty of Bath (which sadly I didn't know about when I bought the tree), possibly exacerbated by the tree being on an M27 rootstock. This variety is known for its propensity for early shedding. It seems to be a stalk problem: the stalks are very weak and easily severed from the tree, and they are also very short. So if you get much wind, the apples just fall off, if the tree is knocked, the apples fall off, and if the shoulders of the apple grow up above the height of the stalk (which they often do), then the apple will lever itself off the tree.

Comment

• This evening, picked strawberries and tomatoes.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Picked 2.5kg of blackcurrants. Still about a third of the big bush to go.

Comment

• 3 yellow courgettes , toms , beetroot .cucumber.

Comment

• Not strictly harvested, but I have been working in the garden all day and to keep me sustained I've eaten almost an entire gooseberry bush and jolly nice it was too!
                              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                              https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                              Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Beetroot, spring onions, courgettes, cucumber and cherry toms. Also lifted the maincrop onions.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X