This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ameno View Post

Are you sure that's the fault of the weather?

I've had quite a few fruit rot off, both this year and last, and every single one happened because the fruit had been compromised, either by a slug or snail or by some other insect. Once a fruit has a hole right through to the cavity, no matter how small the hole is, its days are numbered.
    You are right. It did get slug damage followed by more damage from tomato plants ripping down there supports and falling onto the pepper plants.
    These problems will be looked into over winter ready for next year.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Originally posted by ameno View Post

Are you sure that's the fault of the weather?
      I'm blaming the long periods of sun myself, most of my plants seem to be putting on more greenery than normal and not too fussed about fruit
      I had 2 Royal Blacks 1 I left in the growroom as a test with constant heat and 12 hour days, on this plant the fruit started later than the greenhouse but accelerated past once they it stared fruiting.

Comment

• Penultimate harvest today. The bahmanian goats have done great. As have the ring of fire. Still got hundreds of moruga scorpains and 7 pot yellows to pick. Currently semi ripe, fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201023_133558_compress4.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	2510950

Comment

• My Habanero's that I have taken into my kitchen at home have finally started to look like Habanero's and are laden with fruit.
          The ones I left in the greenhouse have realised its autumn and have started dropping there leaves. Just goes to show what that added bit warmth can achieve.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
            Penultimate harvest today. The bahmanian goats have done great. As have the ring of fire. Still got hundreds of moruga scorpains and 7 pot yellows to pick. Currently semi ripe, fingers crossed.

Name:	IMG_20201023_133558_compress4.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	2510950

Wow that looks fantastic ...what are you going to make with them all. ? Just being nosey

Comment

• I ferment loads to make various sauces. Mainly the hotter ones. The ring of fires get frozen to use for cooking and dried for chilli flakes. Make loads of harissa, about 20 jars of pickled jalapenos. I'll give loads of them away too. That pic is probably about 1/5th of the total harvest this year so it's a little excessive but I can't seem to control myself when the new year comes along and I have lots of seeds.

Comment

• Wow !/5 very impressive. Enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                  Wow !/5 very impressive. Enjoy.
                  Well, not so sure about that. I seem to struggle to grow jalepenos every year. Nearly lost all my plants this year. And last year they had no heat at all and weren't very nice. The sheer amount of chillis is simply from having lots of plants (mind you I've only got 3 ring of fires and they are prolific). Some of which haven't produced anything at all. One of which is my Choc Habenero which is my favourite chilli. And my Orange habeneros are pea sized for some reason.

The bahmanian goats have made up for all the failures as they are really nice and I got loads. My new favourite. The seeds were from Mitzi in the seed swap. Is he still about? Not heard anything from him in quite a while.

Comment

• I too struggle to grow jalepenos don't know why ... Not heard any thing from Mitzi , but a lot of people have moved on since the upgrade .

Comment

• When you say moved on - where to? The site has sorted itself out. Least I find it mainly useable now.

Comment

• Picked all of my peppers yesterday. Came to 2.3kg of mostly unripe sweet peppers. They are turning colour, though, so should ripen indoors hopefully.
                        They actually did really well in the end, outside at my allotment. They didn't start ripening until really late, though, so next year I will grow some different varieties billed as early maturing (these ones were just seeds saved from shop-bough pointy sweet peppers).
                        I also brought in my potted pepper plants and dug up three of my best sweet peppers from the allotment and potted them up, all to try and overwinter.

Comment

• I am also trying to overwinter some peppers.
                          One is a saved seed from a supermarket pointed fruit plus 3 that were given to me and some chilies that were grown with tomatoes that crowded them out in a mixture of red clay and horse manure.
                          Those pointed peppers take ages to ripen. I am yet to harvest a good one but I do get closer each time I try.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Chopped most of mine now. Hung them in the tunnel to try and ripen the remaining fruit. Lots of super hots nearly ripe but battling mold and rotting daily now.

Name:	IMG_20201030_102427_compress46.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	2511524

"‹"‹"‹"‹"‹"‹Moruga scorpian left, 7 pot yellow right.

Name:	IMG_20201030_104051_compress35.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	2511523

Possibly final harvest

Name:	IMG_20201104_111020_compress9.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	2511525

Smoked habanero fermented hot sauce made this week. Choc/orange habs fermented for 6 weeks. Blended with smoked garlic, smoked onion, smoked sweet pepper, cider vinegar and sea salt. Heat is med/high I would say. The 2 of the right are redder as they were blended with fermented moruga scorpians so a fair bit hotter. Nothing crazy tho.

Comment

• shown some Joe's long cayenne and some tesco saved seeds yesterday , will be growing a few more aswell , I didn't grow any last year but iv'e been told that I must grow them again this year by Mrs Dal whom has become a chillie head after I found a bag of mixed chillies in the freezer from the year before that I then pickled and where delicious !

Comment

• I'm amazed by how quickly peppers can ripen off the plant in a warm room. Half a dozen of the ones I picked have already fully ripened, and a dozen or so more are nearly there, all just three days after picked peppers which were 90-100% green.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X