Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people continue to let their chilli plants flower at this time of year? My habaneros are still full of flower and surely that must be affecting the ripening of the fruit on the plant.

Comment

• The recent spell of warm to hot weather has brought on the Carolina Reapers that I was beginning to think wouldn't ripen. I've had an infestation of red spider mite in the chilli&cucumber greenhouse (didn't fumigate it at the start of the season) so I'm not going to overwinter any of the plants. But they're still flowering and fruiting away merilly, even if the leaves look a bit sad. They're certainly coping better than the cucumber plants have!
      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        Do people continue to let their chilli plants flower at this time of year? My habaneros are still full of flower and surely that must be affecting the ripening of the fruit on the plant.
        I just leave them to it myself. Least until mid Oct when I'll attempt to stress the plants to ripen all the the fruit that's left.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Thanks. Am trying to stress them a bit by cutting back on the watering. We shall see

Comment

• Is there an idiots guide anywhere on here for how to over winter chillies?

I'd like to give it a go but I haven't been very successful in the past.

I mean, there almost certainly is, and someone will no doubt be able to send a link quite quickly. I did try and search but that is something else I have never had any success with.
            Last edited by Peteyd; 01-10-2020, 11:38 AM.
            "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
            - Henry Beard

Comment

• My hot ones are finally ripening en masse. Getting tons of them now.

Lots of 7 pot yellows

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200928_114205_compress0.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	525.4 KB
ID:	2509659

Big box of assorted ones

Name:	IMG_20200928_093005_compress11.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	2509658

Got lots of different sauces fermenting. The bahmanian goats are finally producing and they are lovely.

Comment

• I found my only Orozco that was isolating on the bedroom windowsill snapped in half today and when shown to the other half all I received was a grin

Comment

• Opps ...did they not like that one.

Comment

• At last the reaper is looking like it means business

Name:	IMG_20201006_223144.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	2509991

Comment

• Can anyone identify this plant, all the pods have quite vivid yellow tops ( it came from a mystery seed bag )
                      Last edited by stigs; 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Apart from the cayenne, the habaneros and scotch bonnets still stubbornly refusing to ripen. Brought a couple of plants inside as an experiment to see if that helps. Reckon it’s in part a result of the pretty rubbish summer we had here but also might start them slightly earlier next year. Looking back I seem to have sowed around 11 Feb so might try January next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                          Apart from the cayenne, the habaneros and scotch bonnets still stubbornly refusing to ripen.
                          My reaper is last years plant and the pods have gone green yellow light orange and are still refusing to go red.
                          I have black pods on a black hungarian for over 10 weeks now, they should have gone red about 6 weeks ago at least.
                          All in All 2020 needs to be consigned to the dust bin
                          Last edited by stigs; 19-10-2020, 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• The weather has not been good for peppers this year.
                            I had one fruit start going red before rotting off.
                            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

• Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                              The weather has not been good for peppers this year.
                              I had one fruit start going red before rotting off.
                              Are you sure that's the fault of the weather?

I've had quite a few fruit rot off, both this year and last, and every single one happened because the fruit had been compromised, either by a slug or snail or by some other insect. Once a fruit has a hole right through to the cavity, no matter how small the hole is, its days are numbered.

Comment

• I’m still waiting for some mavras sweet peppers to ripen,I don’t think they will now, I think it was the weather we had this year & I sowed them too late,looking on the seed sowing thread i soŵed them March 10th. I’ll pick them soon,they’re just sitting on the plant never changing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X