Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have tried to overwinter chilli plants for years - in an unheated greenhouse, in a large heated propagator, in various parts of the house. Absolutely no success. This winter, as I was busy, I didn't get around to clearing out all the old chilli plants in the greenhouse and 3 survived as a result of total neglect. 2 are definitely Bolivian Rainbow. The other one has a label that says De Cayenne, but I'm pretty sure its jalapeno.

Both those three and all the chillies I sowed this year are doing great guns. They are huge - much better than in previous years. The reason that I know one is a jalapeno is that it has several quite large fruit already. I have a de Cayenne plant which has a red chilli on it. My sweet chillies are absolutely massive this year. They are loving the sunny weather.

I just need to learn how to preserve and to cook!

Comment

• My jalapeños are a good size, but no heat. Not grown them before. Is it too early to harvest. Have I watered them too much? My Padrons were going really well. Cooked them in olive oil, sprinkled them with sea salt, (as you do) and they were very hot! They are in a greenhouse. Help appreciated please.

Comment

• I would leave them a bit longer.

Comment

• Jalapeños don't tend to have a lot of heat but do have a nice flavour. Nice raw with a salad. Padrons can be mild if grown with a lot of water, but can be pretty hot from the same plant. It's a bit like Russian roulette.

That's what I've found anyway.
          Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Thank you Ms T and Mark for your advice. Chillies are fascinating. I made Scotch Bonnet Chilli Jelly last year and it was extremely good and much prized among my colleagues. Hope to do the same this year with home grown. It seems that the big sun, antillais scotch bonnet types are not as quick off the mark as my other chillies though.

Comment

• Scotch Bonnet Chilli Jelly sounds nice and hot

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
                Hold back the food on the reaper and under water it for a bit , i find it helps the plant to get a move on.
                I tried this and the flowers then start to fall off, same results last year only with the reaper it works for other plants.
                Last edited by stigs; 02-07-2020, 12:36 PM. Reason: addendum

Comment

• ^^^ have you tried hand pollinating with a small paint brush ..keep that brush in the pot so you only use it for that one.?

Comment

• I have been doing some hand pollination with a make up brush but still getting drop off. Anything else that could be causing it?

Comment

• Is it all the flowers or just some?

Comment

• Just some. They are cayenne - it’s the only one with flowers so far.

Comment

• Sometimes they will drop flowers if there is to many for it to cope with.

Comment

• Well guess I just have to accept a few losses. They have maybe 6 chillis but they are fairly small plants. Am only growing 13 plants this year and am happy enough to get a reasonable crop. I just enjoy growing chillis, almost more than the product if you know what I mean.

Comment

• I've had a plague of caterpillars in the greenhouse, the chillies took the brunt of the attack, I've squished the pests and the plants seem to be ok throwing out new replacement leaves. Lots of flowers and quite a few Hot Wax and Cayenne, the Sweet peppers are a bit behind them though.

Comment

• ^^^ Glad you got the caterpillars before they striped the plant..i do like Hot Wax.....my big Sweet peppers are just beginning to ripen..

annie8....I do know what you mean ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X