• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Afternoon

Any ideas?

Simon
    Could be leaf oedema/edema from overwatering. Does your potting mix have any added drainage like perlite?

Comment

• (removed double post)
      Last edited by SimpleSimon; 16-02-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• They are in a mix of John innes #1 and vermiculite. It's a pretty sandy mix. Though the tent has very high hudimity despite the fans in there. Could be that?

Just searched edema and it does look like that to be fair. Will remove the matting today and dry it out.

Comment

• Vermiculite absorbs a lot of water so isn't the ideal thing for adding drainage. It's very easy to over water chilli/peppers plants when they're this young. They should recover once the soil has dried out a bit.

Comment

• No show on my first sowing of Hot Wax chillies, just noted seeds are 4 years old, so re-sown some seeds I saved last season. Will be interesting to see what I get as I cross pollinated the flowers with cayenne pollen as I used the same brush for both types. Also sown some cayenne as we like them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
              They are in a mix of John innes #1 and vermiculite. It's a pretty sandy mix. Though the tent has very high hudimity despite the fans in there. Could be that?

Just searched edema and it does look like that to be fair. Will remove the matting today and dry it out.
              High humidity typically causes oedema. Can you increase the air flow somehow?

I've had it before, I put a strong fan on them and they recovered. Actually they might have dropped the affected leaves but the plants survived.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                Stick them outside? If my friend allows the use of his greenhouse again I will only have room for 8 plants in there. Everything else is on bedroom windowsills in the house or outside. Previously I've only used pots but I'm going to try one or two in the ground this year.
                Do some varieties do better outside than others? I am guessing most chinense won't ripen outdoors unless we get a really good summer.

Will be trying some of the sweet peppers in grow bags outside against a sunny wall anyhow, don't mind too much if they don't ripen properly since we use green peppers in cooking quite often. Just need to shelter them somehow from those 50-60 mph summer winds we seem to get every year. Ordered some Etiuda seeds (orange bell pepper which is supposed to be cold tolerant) and sown some King of the North.

Comment

• It depends on the weather. Last year nothing did very well for me but in this part of the country, we had cold and wet and gloom (grey clouds with no sunshine) right up until late June, then a month of half-decent weather, then August went cool and grey again. Even the greenhouse plants didn't do brilliantly. The year before, with a heatwave in early summer, everything did reasonably well outside including the chinenses.

I think they all do better inside if possible, but rocotos and baccatums are probably the best for outside. Annuums are usually OK too but mine did nothing last year (they were very late being potted on, though.) In fact some of the chinenses did better than the annuums. You need the sunniest spot, ideally against a wall (which can act as a storage heater and give out some warmth overnight.)
                  Last edited by Mitzi; 17-02-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• First two chillies have germinated in the propogator. A couple of scotch bonnets. Quite impressed that is only 6 days from sowing.

Comment

• I was away for the winter & left this Mushroom Yellow with a neighbor so they could carry on getting fruit from it.

Returned home and they'd moved & left the plant in a sheltered corner of their garden.

It looks as though it's alive, so my question is, is it saveable? & if so, what should I do next?

It's currently in the greenhouse (I'm not allowed to bring it into the house)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MuSHRooM YeLLoW  01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	2386347

Name:	MuSHRooM YeLLoW  02.jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2386348

Name:	MuSHRooM YeLLoW  03.jpg
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	2386349

Comment

• 9 days from sowing and germination so far 4 from 4 of the scotch bonnets, 2 from 4 cayenne and just seen the first of the chocolate habanero poking through. Have moved the ones that have come through into individual pots quickly to stop them getting leggy. Not too bad then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonny.D View Post
                          I was away for the winter & left this Mushroom Yellow with a neighbor so they could carry on getting fruit from it.

Returned home and they'd moved & left the plant in a sheltered corner of their garden.

It looks as though it's alive, so my question is, is it saveable? & if so, what should I do next?

It's currently in the greenhouse (I'm not allowed to bring it into the house
                          Ideally you need to get it somewhere sheltered. I think the greenhouse is going to be too cold. We have had a mild winter but February isn't out yet and we are getting some seriously cold nights.

It would need trimming down...so maybe allowed in then?
                          The dark patch low down on the stem looks worrying... You would need to cut all the dark/dying bits back. Definitely those brown branches. Though I have taken a living Chilli right to the base and it came back fabulous as it already had a good root system
                          Last edited by Scarlet; 20-02-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Great to see all the different chilli types people have sown, definitely going to pinch a few for next year (subject to reviews given )

From the 80 seeds I originally sowed, and after getting rid of the weakest seedlings (about 15 so far) I've now got the following plants;

Fatalii Aji Fantasy - 3
                            Fatalii Cayenne - 5
                            Montufar (PL 585273 - 2
                            Turbo Pube - 2
                            Carolina Reaper - 3
                            Jalapeno Jalafuego - 4
                            Jalapeno Mammoth - 4
                            7 Pod Yellow - 2
                            Moruga Scorpion Chocolate (seeds from UK Chilli) - 3
                            Moruga Chocolate (Seeds from Fatalii) - 4
                            7 Pot Chocolate Douglah - 1
                            Red Habanero - 1
                            7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic - 1
                            Paper Lantern - 1
                            Lemon Drop - 3
                            Basket of Fire - 2 - Going to try these in 2 hanging baskets in a sunny spot at the front of the house
                            Ancho Poblano - 3
                            Cayenne (Seeds from UK Chilli) - 2
                            Birds Eye Baby - 4 - The best 2 will be kept and grown as house plants.
                            Aji Cristal - 2
                            Scotch Bonnet - 3

So excluding the hanging basket and indoor plants that leaves me with 49 Plants and 23 spaces in my greenhouse beds to put them haha! I will let my dad have his pick from them and then will be giving a lot away to residents on the estate through the facebook page.

Any that I can't get rid of will be looked after till final frost date has passed and then will have to either thrive or die outdoors in pots. I guess their success will be down to the weather.
                            Last edited by Pigmyhippo; 28-02-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Sowed a couple each of Joe's Long and Cayenne that I'd had soaking for a few days to make up for disappointing germination from two earlier sowings (T&M's 'nearly free' seeds might have been that for a reason or I might have got too dry compost in two sowings of identical seeds out of five). They'll be behind the others if they come up, but will be a usefull reserve.
                              Last edited by Mark Rand; 28-02-2020, 09:33 PM.
                              Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• My Apache chilli plant has been looking ok over the winter but about 10 days ago all the leaves started shrivelling and I think it’s died. It was living near the patio door (ground level) quite near a heater which gets switched off at night. Am wondering if it was the temp fluctuation? I did water it a little but not much. Seems such a shame it made it this far just to expire now . Let me have your tips for next year’s overwintering please, chilli gurus.
                                Last edited by muckdiva; 29-02-2020, 09:21 AM.
                                All at once I hear your voice
                                And time just slips away
                                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X