Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My overwinters have had their first feed of the season, with half strength Miracle Gro all-purpose.

Most of them are flowering and setting pods but some aren't developing well due to starvation. Peach Fatalii is the star with about 25 pods coming and still flowering.

Pricked out some more sprouting seeds into Jiffy 7s. Hope they grow on ok.

No germination of any baccatums but it's been less than a week so I'm not panicking yet.

Comment

• Growing for 2020, just sown..

Trying to time it just right for them to go outside late April/Early May..

Aji Largo
      Costa Rican Yellow
      Padron
      Reapers
      Bob West scorpion f7
      Turbo Pube X Albertos Locoto
      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• Morning Mitzi,

Apologies I didn’t chase it up last week (my son had his first jabs Thursday and it’s been a testing few days for our little family), if you let me know the next steps I need to take, I can get the LD’s packaged and sent out to you this week.

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
          Morning Mitzi,

Apologies I didn’t chase it up last week (my son had his first jabs Thursday and it’s been a testing few days for our little family), if you let me know the next steps I need to take, I can get the LD’s packaged and sent out to you this week.

Thanks
          All info you need is here.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100777.html

Some good advice on packing chilli seedlings for posting here ( a good few pages in )

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...nt-swap-6.html

Comment

• Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
            Morning Mitzi,

Thanks
            I sent you a couple of PMs last week.

Comment

• Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
              Growing for 2020, just sown..

Trying to time it just right for them to go outside late April/Early May..

Aji Largo
              Costa Rican Yellow
              Padron
              Reapers
              Bob West scorpion f7
              Turbo Pube X Albertos Locoto
              Some interesting varieties! I've never seen Costa Rican Yellow although I see Semillas has Aji Largo. Any chance you can isolate some flowers and save seeds for the seed circle?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                Some interesting varieties! I've never seen Costa Rican Yellow although I see Semillas has Aji Largo. Any chance you can isolate some flowers and save seeds for the seed circle?
                Hi, yes.. no problem, Costa Rican yellow is a large pube, I should be able to isolate a flower or two..

The scorpions were bred in the states and the seeds very kindly made there way over to me, they have been bred out to have much longer 'stingers' and seem to have a higher oil content and pack a slightly larger punch than standard shape scorpions.. I've eaten both raw for comparison..

The Turbo pube X Albertos locoto were bred by a friend in Whitley bay.. I have mentioned him before many moons ago, it has the prolific pod count of a turbo pube and the extreme vigor of the albertos Locoto
                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

• Or if you have better germination rates than you expect, you could join the seedling swap...

My turbo pube seeds haven’t germinated. :-(
                  Last edited by Mitzi; 11-02-2020, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• I’m having poor germination this year as well. I’ve tried seeds in the heated propagator & damp kitchen roll in bags in the airing cupboard ( in case propagator isn’t working properly ). 4 varieties so far have failed to germinate. Luckily I’m not that fussed about any of them. I’ve still got a few new varieties this year. And I’ve upped the number of plants of some varieties. Still feel like I’m not putting much effort into my chillies this year with only growing 27 varieties. That’s If the rest germinate. I’ve still 3 varieties to sow. Can’t Do it yet, I’m having a compost crisis!
                    Last edited by Small pumpkin; 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• If you're having issues with germination, apparently soaking seeds in diluted bleach for 30 mins can help.

https://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx

Comment

• There’s all sorts of old wife’s tails about soaking. Weak tea is another.
                        I must admit I keep forgetting about per soaking. Maybe I’ll try with the ones I’m have trouble with. I’ll not be using tea ( drink of the devil ), and I’ll definitely not be using bleach.

Comment

• Yeah I've seen a lot of those kind of myths, the world of gardening is full of them. Bleach actually has scientific studies showing it can help to break seed dormancy though. I'm going to give it a go on some varieties that haven't germinated properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                            I'm hoping to grow Aribibi Gusano (I've wanted to try that almost as long as I've been growing chillies,)
                            I grew this a few years ago, it grew well and had plenty of fruit, however they had a very thin skin and very little taste but plenty of heat, I won't be growing it again !

Comment

• Originally posted by stigs View Post
                              I grew this a few years ago, it grew well and had plenty of fruit, however they had a very thin skin and very little taste but plenty of heat, I won't be growing it again !
                              Oh thanks v much for the heads up. Disappointing that it doesn't have much flavour. If I get a good crop, it will be fun giving some to people who think that all chillies are green or red and long and thin. "Here, have a worm chilli!"

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                                If you're having issues with germination, apparently soaking seeds in diluted bleach for 30 mins can help.

https://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx
                                I know people who soak in hydrogen peroxide (which is also a kind of bleach) but not household bleach. Mind you, I've never grown some of the esoteric species chillies which reputedly have to pass through a bird's digestive system in order to germinate. I guess those are the ones that need it the most.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X