Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My chocolate habanero, red cayenne and yellow scotch bonnet seeds have arrived. So maybe I should get them going when I'm off next week? I have the propogator that I got for xmas which I'm excited but a bit nervous to try. I also picked up some organic chicken manure pellets that were on offer. Thought I'd put some on my raised bed and keep some for putting in the chilli pots later. Am holding off on starting my tomatoes so early this year, but should I go for the chillies now? I dont have grown lights and my gh is unheated so they'd need to be on windowsill for a good while.

Comment

• Definitely get the Choc Habs going. The hotter the pepper the longer season they need to ripen.

Where did you pick up you chicken manure pellets? I’ve been watching some videos this past weekend about them funnily enough!

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        My chocolate habanero, red cayenne and yellow scotch bonnet seeds have arrived. So maybe I should get them going when I'm off next week? I have the propogator that I got for xmas which I'm excited but a bit nervous to try. I also picked up some organic chicken manure pellets that were on offer. Thought I'd put some on my raised bed and keep some for putting in the chilli pots later. Am holding off on starting my tomatoes so early this year, but should I go for the chillies now? I dont have grown lights and my gh is unheated so they'd need to be on windowsill for a good while.
        It's getting lighter and brighter every day so I would definitely start them now (or next week like you said, if that's more convenient for you.) If you're not going to do them all at once then concentrate on the Bonnets and Choc Hab and the Cayenne can wait a while. It wouldn't hurt to start them all now if you want, though.

Comment

• I agree with everyone else. Get your seeds sown annie8.

Comment

• Got mine sown today. The propagator doesn't seem to keep the right temperature any more so for now they're on bits of kitchen roll in plastic chocolate trays on top of the boiler. Not all of these will fit in the greenhouse so some will be given away.

Chillies - Aji Delight, Aji Pineapple, Alberto Locoto Rocoto, Fish, Gourmet Jalapeno, Habanero Chocolate, Habanero Giant White, Havana Gold, Hot Thai, Hungarian Hot Wax, Lancer, Midas, Monkey Face, Razzamatazz, Venezuelan Tiger, Zimbabwe Black

Peppers - Amy, Astor F1, Mohawk F1, New Ace F1, Semaroh, Sheep's Nose, Shishito, Tangerine Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
              Got mine sown today. The propagator doesn't seem to keep the right temperature any more so for now they're on bits of kitchen roll in plastic chocolate trays on top of the boiler. Not all of these will fit in the greenhouse so some will be given away.

Chillies - Aji Delight, Aji Pineapple, Alberto Locoto Rocoto, Fish, Gourmet Jalapeno, Habanero Chocolate, Habanero Giant White, Havana Gold, Hot Thai, Hungarian Hot Wax, Lancer, Midas, Monkey Face, Razzamatazz, Venezuelan Tiger, Zimbabwe Black

Peppers - Amy, Astor F1, Mohawk F1, New Ace F1, Semaroh, Sheep's Nose, Shishito, Tangerine Dream
              That's a great grow list; lots of variety.

Are any of the sweet peppers suitable for growing outdoors i.e. not in a greenhouse / tunnel?

Comment

• No idea, sorry! New Ace F1 is the only one I've grown before: it's supposed to be one of the earliest bell peppers, but the fruit still took a long while to ripen in the greenhouse last year. Amy is grown outside in the Czech Republic but I imagine they get higher temperatures and more sunshine hours than us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                  It's getting lighter and brighter every day so I would definitely start them now (or next week like you said, if that's more convenient for you.) If you're not going to do them all at once then concentrate on the Bonnets and Choc Hab and the Cayenne can wait a while. It wouldn't hurt to start them all now if you want, though.
                  Good to see your advice, I'm in a similar situation, I have a windowsill but no grow lights. I sowed mine on Saturday (Feb 1), which is 20 days earlier than I started last year.

2x Lemon drop
                  1x Yellow Fatalii
                  2x Sugar rush peach
                  1x Orange habanero
                  1x Thai dragon
                  1x CGN 21500 x 7 Pot Barrackpore

Exciting times!
                  Last edited by dave_100; 04-02-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• I succumbed to the lure of Victoriana Nursery. They're not the cheapest so I hope they have good germination. I'm hoping to grow Aribibi Gusano (I've wanted to try that almost as long as I've been growing chillies,) Jalapeno NuMex Pinata, and Uchu Cream. The latter two because the pictures of them look so beautiful. In fact all three purely for their appearance. I didn't do well with my first attempt at growing Jalapeno last year so hopefully this year will be better.

I sowed six varieties of baccatum yesterday but three of those are old seeds from Nicky's Nursery so I'm not expecting them to germinate. Thought I might as well try them. Two are home saved and one from a seed swap.

I haven't sown Lemon Drop yet - have put a shout out on the seedling swap thread to ask if anyone is likely to have spares of this? Would save me the job of sowing and pricking them out if one of you can trade me for them.

It seems my grow is expanding out of control again. No self-control whatsoever.
                    Last edited by Mitzi; 05-02-2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Never noticed this problem before, but checking my germinating chillies and I spotted tiny tiny white wriggly worms moving over the surface of the compost. It was a brand new bag of miracle grow and only put in the heated propogator 5 days ago.

Anything to worry about? I don't want bugs on my baby seedlings when they show their heads!

I've done some research and it seems like it might be pot worms, which are supposedly harmless, or gnat larvae which would be an issue, not sure how to tell which it is.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

• Hi Mitzi,

I’m happy to send you a couple of lemon drops, though you will need to tell me how to send safely as not something I’ve done before!

Comment

• Originally posted by dave_100 View Post
                          Never noticed this problem before, but checking my germinating chillies and I spotted tiny tiny white wriggly worms moving over the surface of the compost. It was a brand new bag of miracle grow and only put in the heated propogator 5 days ago.

Anything to worry about? I don't want bugs on my baby seedlings when they show their heads!

I've done some research and it seems like it might be pot worms, which are supposedly harmless, or gnat larvae which would be an issue, not sure how to tell which it is.

Any help appreciated.
                          Fungus gnat larvae are fatter and have a little black head. Pot worms are longer, thinner and more wriggly.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave_100 View Post
                            Never noticed this problem before, but checking my germinating chillies and I spotted tiny tiny white wriggly worms moving over the surface of the compost. It was a brand new bag of miracle grow and only put in the heated propogator 5 days ago.

Any help appreciated.
                            I've not heard of pot worms but I'd suspect fungus gnats. When compost is stored outside, they can get in through small holes in the bags. They don't do much damage to established plants but they can kill seedlings by eating the roots. When I had them in my seed compost one year it was devastating. Are there some tiny black flies in the vicinity?

I'd read up on how to sterilise compost - bake it in the oven or I think you can microwave it too - and do that before risking any more precious seeds to it.
                            Last edited by Mitzi; 05-02-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FromYorkshiretoBucks View Post
                              Hi Mitzi,

I’m happy to send you a couple of lemon drops, though you will need to tell me how to send safely as not something I’ve done before!
                              Yay! Thank you! I've added a link to how I do it on the swap thread (at the bottom of the first post.) https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...-a_100777.html

I use cling film, bubble wrap, toilet roll tubes and takeaway tubs plus a padded envelope - but that's probably overkill and any two or three of those should be enough.

My current list of available-for-swap seedlings is in the same post so let me know if you fancy any of those in return. I'm hopeful I might also have Aji Omnicolour and Sugar Rush Peach but I've only just sown those so it will be a few days before I know.
                              Last edited by Mitzi; 05-02-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Hi Mitzi,

No problem at all, I can look to get them sent out tomorrow, would kitchen roll suffice in absence of bubble wrap?

Here’s a picture of the seedlings at present, hopefully should be strong enough to post.

I’d be keen to try sugar rush peach if they germinate? I was looking at them online the other day and thought how pretty they looked.

Thanks,Click image for larger version

Name:	EEA97127-BF25-4463-987E-C04473AD7C3E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	2386270
                                Last edited by FromYorkshiretoBucks; 05-02-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X