This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillies - Growing and Over wintering 2020

This is a follow on thread from 2019... discussing anything to do with chillies.
    As it's a new season and peeps are starting to sow again, please tell us what varieties you have sown already and what is your grow list for 2020

Last years thread can be found here :

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...9-a_98308.html

I've not decided on what I'm growing yet but my grow list is getting smaller each year. As we get older or tolerance levels are diminishing
    Though I'll definitely be growing :

A lemon Drop, a variegated variety and a black podded plant.

What are you lot going to grow?
    Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2019, 01:27 PM.

On the old thread someone was asking about their 30cm grow light & is it sufficient,to help this is how many 3” pots can fit under a 50cm led light (21 to save time counting) problem is when they go into 5” pots,there’s not enough space but if timed right they can go outside in the day with the bees then indoors at night by any window. (when the seeds are in modules I put them closer to the light,my lights on a chain) try to control how many seeds you sow because there might not be enough space? I got some reflective silver from a hydroponics shop to help bounce the light around -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1193DDC8-CD9C-42A3-BC53-4597322B19B5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	656.5 KB
ID:	2385903

Comment

Not planted any yet, propagator is full of leeks and onions, however whilst in the greenhouse I spotted one of last years plants, complete with chillies still on it, so I am over wintering one plant of Cayenne, even though I hadn't intended too!

Comment

O think it's been quite mild here as one hab that I had to chuck due to space issues is still alive. It's in my porch against my kitchen wall....but it may bite the dust yet!
        Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          On the old thread someone was asking about their 30cm grow light & is it sufficient,to help this is how many 3” pots can fit under a 50cm led light (21 to save time counting) problem is when they go into 5” pots,there’s not enough space but if timed right they can go outside in the day with the bees then indoors at night by any window. (when the seeds are in modules I put them closer to the light,my lights on a chain) try to control how many seeds you sow because there might not be enough space? I got some reflective silver from a hydroponics shop to help bounce the light around -
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]89573[/ATTACH]
          That's pretty much what I do. I use daylight bulbs in my workroom so it's well lit all day but my chillies are also close to the window on a "blowaway" frame without the cover on.

But I think ItschilliupNorth
          Doesn't want them in the house?
          Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

If they weren’t in the house & they were set up in the garage in 3” pots,it would be a difficult making sure the garage is at least 14 degrees or something around that. If it’s too cold their growth would stop & then you’d notice the plants weren’t thriving,their roots need a bit of warmth not cold compost?

Comment

As posted on the old thread (with some extra comments):

Today’s the day! First seeds are soaking. Purple Peach, IC2, BBG7 and Fatalii. Some are old seeds so I’m not expecting them all to succeed.

Purple Peach are seeds I bought from Nicky’s Nursery several years ago. They didn’t germinate well first time round, in fact I only got one plant from a whole packet sown. This second packet was still sealed so I thought I might as well try it. If they fail I have a few home-saved seeds I can try.

Fatalii seeds were received in a swap last year but labelled “old seeds”. IC2 are seeds I brought back from Ivory Coast in 2017. I grew a couple of plants in 2018 but didn’t manage to isolate any pods so these are the original seeds. BBG7 I have tried and failed with before so not hopeful.

Definitely not growing as many plants and varieties this coming year and very few new ones; going back to some old favourites.

Overwintering in the house:
              Bahamian Goat
              SB MoA
              Bhut Jolokia White (I don’t think this is true as the pods aren’t very long and ripen yellow but they are nice and hot)
              Havana Gold
              Baccatum cross 1
              Baccatum cross 2 - all 3 baccatums look sickly and might not survive
              Nagabrain chocolate
              White Lightning
              BOC - sickly plant
              Caramel Moruga
              Peach Fatalii
              Ethiopian berbere

Quite a lot! That’s why I don’t need many more plants.
              Last edited by Mitzi; 29-12-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I know this is subjective, but what's a good chilli to grow in abundance to dry and maybe grind up into flakes or powder

A variety that is flavoursome, yet not overly hot, but enough heat to know you've eaten some.
                What do you advise?
                sigpic

Comment

What's wrong with just a regular cayenne? They have a decent flavour,not too hot, dry really well and have huge crops in their first year?

Comment

Cayenne is a great choice for sure, a good all rounder.
                    Is there any variety a little "fruitier" but again not too hot?
                    I was thinking of something that matches blending several varieties, say cayenne and trinidad perfume?
                    sigpic

Comment

My fiancé’s Aunty gave me an Amazon voucher for Christmas so used it on a heated propagator.

Got my seedlings underway today. I maybe have gone a bit OTT and planted 130 Scotch Bonnets, 10 Chocolate Habaneros and 10 Lemon drops.

Plan is to send up a fair few of the SB’s to my dad in yorkshire in February, to grow on in his greenhouse (or hopefully the 2 greenhouses and potentially 2 polytunnels in the new house they are looking at moving to)

The rest will grow on in my greenhouse and the 4 cold frame / greenhouse hybrids in building!

I ga feeling a lot of my other fruit and veg plans will be shelved this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                        I got some reflective silver from a hydroponics shop to help bounce the light around -
                        Very good point! Without reflective walls you lose a good percentage of the light. I use foil glued to cardboard but another option is mylar emergency blankets which can be found very cheaply online.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                          Very good point! Without reflective walls you lose a good percentage of the light. I use foil glued to cardboard but another option is mylar emergency blankets which can be found very cheaply online.
                          I use an emergency blanket which I bought from Go Outdoors a couple of years ago. Just taped to the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by MyWifesBrassicas View Post
                            Cayenne is a great choice for sure, a good all rounder.
                            Is there any variety a little "fruitier" but again not too hot?
                            I was thinking of something that matches blending several varieties, say cayenne and trinidad perfume?
                            Aji Omnicolour might be a good one for you. Relatively compact plants and quick to ripen compared to most of the other baccatums, nice flavour, some heat but not excessive. I grew it two years ago and am going back to it this year. Or Sugar Rush Peach? They are a bit fleshier than Cayenne so will need drying properly (dehydrator or oven) as opposed to the Cayenne which can just air-dry naturally.
                            Last edited by Mitzi; 30-12-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

First batch of seeds have been sown.
                              ohnivec, Dorset naga, choc hab, monkey face, Trinidad perfume, giant white hab, la Paz rojo, thunder mountain longhorn, nebru7, sugar rush peach, pink hab, pimento de Padron.

Area 51 is set up ready for germination.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X