This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    They are 3 very different and fairly easily identified pods. The Russian roulette shouldn’t be to bad.
    I told her I'd made this post and she, quite reasonably, asked why I didn't just Google it... Dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Man up! I put mine in the warming oven of the Aga!!
      I miss having an Aga. Just one big propagator that you can cook in

Comment

Yes!! It's fab for chillies

Comment

Most of my overwinters are doing well. In the last week or so, some pods have set on Fatalii Peach, White Lightning and Ethiopian Berbere. The pods that set in Nov/Dec on the Moruga Caramel are starting to ripen. Nagabrain Chocolate is flowering. Happy days!

None of these plants have been fed for several months; they've been on a diet of water only when they are dry. The caramel moruga pods are much smaller than the ones I got off the same plant last summer, although the peach fatalii pods seem to be growing to the same size. I guess it might be time to give them a bit of feed, although it seems wrong, as it's only January.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
            Greetings chilli heads, belated Happy New Year

I'm not growing anything, as I decided to have a year off, first since 2006.
            Relentless greenfly and erratic weather these past two seasons, and the subsequent mediocre crop last year particularly, have taken a lot of the shine off the hobby. I didn't have pest problems to this degree five years ago so not entirely sure what has changed, just got theories at this point. Tried numerous fixes, though each seems to incur other problems so no one solution just yet. Either way, not going to dwell on it.
            No plants overwintered - washed my hands of them (literally) and left them to their fate in the GH in the autumn.
            Quite refreshing actually. I shall instead focus my energies on the numerous DIY projects that until now were always sidelined as soon as the days started lengthening...
            I don't really want to "like" your post as it's sad, but I guess if you've been growing them since 2006, you deserve a break. Have you tried biological controls (ladybirds, lacewing larvae, parasitic wasps etc.) for your pests?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
              Most of my overwinters are doing well. In the last week or so, some pods have set on Fatalii Peach, White Lightning and Ethiopian Berbere. The pods that set in Nov/Dec on the Moruga Caramel are starting to ripen. Nagabrain Chocolate is flowering. Happy days!

None of these plants have been fed for several months; they've been on a diet of water only when they are dry. The caramel moruga pods are much smaller than the ones I got off the same plant last summer, although the peach fatalii pods seem to be growing to the same size. I guess it might be time to give them a bit of feed, although it seems wrong, as it's only January.

Obviously everyone is different but I don't feed my overwinters even if they have pods on because I think it encourages sappy green growth which can encourage the aphids. I report into something bigger and renew the compost. This seems to give them enough boost without too much growth.
              Last edited by Scarlet; 10-01-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                Greetings chilli heads, belated Happy New Year

I'm not growing anything, as I decided to have a year off, first since 2006.
                Relentless greenfly and erratic weather these past two seasons, and the subsequent mediocre crop last year particularly, have taken a lot of the shine off the hobby. I didn't have pest problems to this degree five years ago so not entirely sure what has changed, just got theories at this point. Tried numerous fixes, though each seems to incur other problems so no one solution just yet. Either way, not going to dwell on it.
                No plants overwintered - washed my hands of them (literally) and left them to their fate in the GH in the autumn.
                Quite refreshing actually. I shall instead focus my energies on the numerous DIY projects that until now were always sidelined as soon as the days started lengthening...
                Oh, I missed your post!! What a shame but some years I've reduced growing on lots of stuff and the following year my enthusiasm bounces back! Enjoy your break. Time to open up the green house and give it a good clean out

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  Obviously everyone is different but I don't feed my overwinters even if they have pods on because I think it encourages sappy green growth which can encourage the aphids. I report into something bigger and renew the compost. This seems to give them enough boost without too much growth.
                  Potting compost normally contains up to 8 weeks worth of feed so potting on into a larger size means that you are feeding them, surely?

The plants I mentioned are all still in pop bottles i.e. small pots approx 1 litre, so the compost is exhausted. I have seen a few aphids but still have a few ladybirds around so hopefully they will keep on top of them.

Comment

It is "feeding" but it doesn't seem to make them put out too much fast growth, just enough to give them a little pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
                      The plants I mentioned are all still in pop bottles i.e. small pots approx 1 litre
                      How big do your plants grow in pop bottles and how many pods do you harvest per plant? Obviously dependant on variety but interested.

Comment

It varies a lot and I don't particularly count (or weigh them like SP does.) I'm sure you've asked this before and I don't really know the answer. Ethiopian Berbere is really too big a plant for a pop bottle and only had four or five peppers on it. The outdoor plant (in an MFB or might even have been a Stewart pot) had lots more pods, but they didn't ripen before the frosts, so maybe it's better to have a few ripe ones than lots that don't ripen. Nagabrain Chocolate (second year plant still in a pop bottle) had three or four crops with up to 20 pods each time so somewhere in the region of 50-70 pods. Others somewhere in between.
                        Last edited by Mitzi; 10-01-2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

You just reminded me I hadn’t done my final tally for my 2019 harvest.

Just under 55kg

Not great but not to bad, especially as I didn’t harvest all the tiny ones or the none ripe ones.

Must do better this year

Comment

Seeds soaking today:

Choc Hab
                            Purple Peach (attempt 2)
                            Aleppo (old seeds)
                            Rocoto La Paz Rojo
                            Rocoto Manzano
                            Turbo Pube

Comment

A packet of Zimbabwe Black chilli seeds has just arrived in a pot luck selection of seeds.
                              It looks decorative but is it hot!!!
                              Has anyone grown it?
                              https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ack_156210.htm

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                A packet of Zimbabwe Black chilli seeds has just arrived in a pot luck selection of seeds.
                                It looks decorative but is it hot!!!
                                Has anyone grown it?
                                https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/...ack_156210.htm
                                Not actually grown that one VC. A few similar. I’d say it’s going to be to hot for your tolerance levels.
                                But it’ll look very pretty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X