This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Still feel like I’m not putting much effort into my chillies this year with only growing 27 varieties. That’s If the rest germinate. I’ve still 3 varieties to sow.
    I have 14 overwinters (each a different variety) and so far 12 varieties have germinated from seed, so that's 26 in total. Still hoping the Sugar Rush Peach will pop (nothing yet after a week) and I sowed six more varieties on Sunday so obviously they're not showing yet but I hope they all succeed. One more sowing to make, of three or four varieties (still waiting for one from Chris11 who used to be on this forum and is much missed by me at least.)

If the latest and future sowing all germinate I will have 37 varieties. That's too many for me. I was hoping to keep it down to the low 20s for varieties and around 40 plants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
      I have 14 overwinters (each a different variety) and so far 12 varieties have germinated from seed, so that's 26 in total. Still hoping the Sugar Rush Peach will pop (nothing yet after a week) and I sowed six more varieties on Sunday so obviously they're not showing yet but I hope they all succeed. One more sowing to make, of three or four varieties (still waiting for one from Chris11 who used to be on this forum and is much missed by me at least.)

If the latest and future sowing all germinate I will have 37 varieties. That's too many for me. I was hoping to keep it down to the low 20s for varieties and around 40 plants.
      You know my address if you want to reduce your numbers .

So come on don’t be shy. What varieties you growing

Comment

I know people who soak in hydrogen peroxide (which is also a kind of bleach) but not household bleach. Mind you, I've never grown some of the esoteric species chillies which reputedly have to pass through a bird's digestive system in order to germinate. I guess those are the ones that need it the most.
        If I were to try it I'd use something like Milton sterilising fluid to avoid the surfactants and fragrance in household bleach. It probably works in a similar way to hydrogen peroxide, chemically scarifying the seed coat.

Comment

Got 100% germination from your Aji Pineapple from last year's random seed swap. Your Pumpkin I sowed only a few days ago so nothing yet. Only got room for about 24 plants in the greenhouse so no idea what I'm going to do if all the extras germinate.

Comment

Posts #7 and #58 list my first two sowing batches and overwinters - oh plus Cayenne and Chupetinho which are at work not at home. Only one variety (IC2) germinated out of batch 1 but that wasn't unexpected. Disappointing, but not unexpected. At least one has germinated from each variety in batch 2 except Turbo Pube.

Batch 3 was 5 colours of BBG (of which 4 have germinated; still haven't got a red one.) Batch 4 was baccatums (only 2 germinated so far) and Batch 5 is a mixture of one BBG, Aribibi Gusano, Jalapeño Piñata, Uchu Cream, Goats Weed and Rezha (too early to know which will germinate.)

Still to sow various other annuums: Basque (Espelette), Large Orange Thai, Nigel’s Outdoor...
            Last edited by Mitzi; 12-02-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I sent you a couple of PMs last week.
              Just dropped you a reply

Comment

• Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                Only got room for about 24 plants in the greenhouse so no idea what I'm going to do if all the extras germinate.
                Stick them outside? If my friend allows the use of his greenhouse again I will only have room for 8 plants in there. Everything else is on bedroom windowsills in the house or outside. Previously I've only used pots but I'm going to try one or two in the ground this year.

Comment

• I've got two survivors in the kitchen fro last year, no idea what they are due to strong winds mixing all of mine up last summer. Quite big and they should do well if they can live in my kitchen for months.
                  Sowed 12 varieties from scotch bonnet to frigitello last Friday in a heated propagator, keep checking, no life yet.

Comment

• I've noticed some of the leaves have gone a purplish brown colour, any ideas? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200215_090033__01__01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	2386326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200215_090039__01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	524.4 KB
ID:	2386327

Comment

• Probably just the variety nothing to worry about I'd say..What variety are they?

Btw..hello all
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

• That colouring could also be too much light or perhaps phosphorous deficiency (if the plants are somewhere cold).

Comment

• I purchased two seed varieties from South Devon Chilli Farm; Chocolate Habanero and Razzamatazz. They were lovingly sown on Tuesday after they arrived:

Chocolate Habaneo: 20 seeds placed in a half-seed propogator with SDCF's coir compost (peat free) and placed on a radiator to keep them warm and help germinate. I had the lid on it, but today I noticed something that looked a little like dust or mold so I removed it to give some air circulation. Rewatered today as well.

Razzamatazz: Same half-seed tray treatment, 19 seeds instead of 20. They are also airing for the day.

My mystery Tesco-Grow-Your-Own chilli (very likely Bird's Eye or Cayenne) is still overwintering, I trimmed the branches back a bit further and changed the substrate as I think the one I had it in when it moved to the Big Boy pot was the wrong one, so it's in a mix of John Innes No.2 and the SDCF coir compost. I really hope it comes back in Spring!

Comment

• Afternoon

3 or 4 of my chilli plants and 1 sweet pepper has developed odd white bumps on 1 leaf. At first I thought argggh aphids but I couldn't spray them off. Or rub them off. A close up picture makes them look like hairs, at least the ones on the chillis. The sweet pepper is worse. I've never seen this before and it's only 4 plants out of loads. And a single leaf in some cases. The plants are otherwise fine.

Choc Hab:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjUQg74fSkibzn889

Reaper:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/croicuaWukxPd9b47

Sweet pepper:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5uKYznTuDa8TWZ17

The sweet pepper looks the worst so I've got rid of it as it's a spare.

Any ideas?

Simon

Comment

• Thanks, I did think phosphorus so have given them a feed. Light hadn't occured to me. I might cut down the amount of light and see if I notice a difference

Comment

• Originally posted by benb89 View Post
                                Thanks, I did think phosphorus so have given them a feed. Light hadn't occured to me. I might cut down the amount of light and see if I notice a difference
                                What sort of lights are they under? It could just be that they're too close to the light rather than the time the light is on. Some varieties seem to get this 'sunburn' easier than others.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X