Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Garlic supplier.

Afternoon,

I need to get my bulbs ordered before I forget but the range / price seems to vary a lot. Some are pretty expensive. Anyone got any supplier recommendations? I'd probably like a mix of about 6 bulbs I'd imagine.

Ta
    Simon

Last year I just used Wilko, cheap as chips, I got Germidour and Casablanca, no complaints. This year I'm trying some left over cloves from that summer harvest.

Comment

There are a few dedicated seed garlic suppliers which always look tempting, but for this autumn I got a garlic offer from Kings seeds, which is a good mix of varieties and quite reasonably priced at 11.95.
      Item Number: 231628 on their website
      The bulbs I received looked very good, hopefully they'll turn out well.

Comment

Ta - will take a look. I have actually planted some Wilkos ones already as my neighbour bought me them after I have her some chillis. I had to get rid of about half the cloves tho as they were tiny. I've put those outside as that's a bit risky with my soil. I'm ordering some for my tunnel as I was want fist sized bulbs at the end

Comment

I normally buy mine locally as I like to see/feel them before I buy. Last year there was none to be had in the garden centres near here when I want shopping. I ended up buying a mix from Suttons online and was very happy with what I received. This year I have gone mad and bought a few bulbs of a "few" sorts locally and I intend planting some of the ones I harvested in June. A lot of garlic, but my family are garlic-lovers. Amazingly it was something none of us had tasted until we first ventured abroad. I do remember the first time I went to France I thought the locals smelled a bit "funny" for the first couple of days.
          Beware vampires!!!
          Yorkshire does not welcome you!
          Last edited by greenishfing; 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Simplyseed were good when I got Iberian Wight from them a few years ago. Nice big bulbs for about a quid per bulb. Buy once and save your own seed garlic each year.

Comment

I made the mistake of not planting enough last year as I have heavy soil so my decent bulbs were few and far between. I do want huge bulbs as I hate tiny cloves when cooking. It's strangely one of the main reasons I took on a plot. Will take a look at Sutton's too. Aiming for about 100 cloves planted between my tunnel and outside. About 20 are from wilkos and roughly the same from last years good ones. So 60 big cloves from a supplier.

Comment

Have you tried Elephant garlic? Not as powerful as normal garlic but huge cloves.

Comment

Don't worry about little cloves. Get one of the "Spanish grater plates". I got one as a present. You don't have to peel the cloves. Amazing. Mine never gets back to the cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Have you tried Elephant garlic? Not as powerful as normal garlic but huge cloves.
                    No but it's pricey. Doesn't it take 2 years? I might be reading that wrong.

Comment

I grow it in a permanent bed - digging up the stems when they die off and replanting some cloves. The small ones that break off are left to grow on in situ.
                      Once you have some cloves, you don't need to buy them again.

Comment

don't forget to research what types, brought a few this year. 2 bulbs of early purple wight = 25 cloves but 2 bulbs of caulk wight = 10 cloves (large ones mind.) Got mine from DTs again this year as I got 98% success rate on the cloves coming up. (damaged the base of a couple when splitting the bulb (user error!)
                        Also how quick are you going to eat them? Some last 3 months while other will store until spring. not in my house though
                        V.P.
                        The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

You've convinced me I do like growing big things and didn't actually consider I could keep it going so I'll add a few cloves to my order.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegi potager View Post
                            don't forget to research what types, brought a few this year. 2 bulbs of early purple wight = 25 cloves but 2 bulbs of caulk wight = 10 cloves (large ones mind.) Got mine from DTs again this year as I got 98% success rate on the cloves coming up. (damaged the base of a couple when splitting the bulb (user error!)
                            Also how quick are you going to eat them? Some last 3 months while other will store until spring. not in my house though
                            That's why I need a mix. I'd like to try a few but mainly I need them to store over winter. I reckon a bulb a week I'll eat. Give quite a few away, lose a few and save some for planting so that's why I'm going for a fair few.

Comment

SS, you might find this useful for information if you want big cloves:
                              https://difference.guru/difference-b...ftneck-garlic/

And thanks, greenfishing, for the comment about Suttons. I've ordered some from there this year. Usually I buy locally, but thought I might try some soft neck, which I can't get here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X