Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I知 sharing a good idea to get more compost material Free.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I知 sharing a good idea to get more compost material Free.

Basically, I take a small green kitchen waste type compost bin to work on Monday, it gets filled with many tea bags and banana skins etc from everyone at the office all week and I take it home on Friday.

Hey Presto, free material and great recycling too.

I put this amongst a recent post but thought I would start this thread on it so more people can see it.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Great idea.
    No point in wasting it!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I need to do this too - great idea

We have a percolator at work, so get a small, but regular supply of spent coffee beans and in addition to that, people eat fruit etc, so all that could go in too. I already take all the cardboard I can find, but it's useful to get that other stuff too!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I used to collect the milk cartons from work to use as plant pots for my tomato seedlings.
        They used to laugh at me on my bike with long strings of cartons around my neck.
        A bit like an "onion Johnny"
        Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

If only I had work colleagues.

Comment

Green waste I have a-plenty but brown can be more challenging so I do scrounge all the brown cardboard packaging I can from work, and my wife's work, and the local farm shop etc..

It's a great idea if there isn't good recycling facilities in the workplace though. Ours is terrible.

Comment

Browns are harder for us to gather too, especially at this time of year when there's no leaves. We collect egg trays from the same cafe that gives us all of their coffee.

Comment

I used to gather up loo roll tubes to plant into... got some very strange looks!

I also get the shredded paper in black bags from the building manager and it goes into the hen house as bedding and under the perches. Then it gets composted. I also get loads of newspapers from him to use under the perches. He loves recycling and thinks its better to use it this way than send it to some anonymous waste processing site in the back of a diesel guzzling bin lorry!

Comment

Sadly, the collection of decomposing food waste is rather frowned on in NHS buildings... Mind you, when I worked for a charity, the best compost I've ever seen was made primarily from tea bags, coffee grinds, orange skins and banana skins... Only me and the finance manager were prepared to empty it, though.

On the plus side, I take home all the non-confidential shredded paper. (The truly confidential stuff is managed by a secure service).

Comment

Loo Rolls, junk mail, local paper and paper from my home office all gets shredded and compressed into buckets with lids and stored ready for the flow of greens to start so that I have ample browns. I save the tea bags lave them to dry and then empty them into the kitchen scrap caddy. I get coffee grounds from coffee shops or the cafe in the local supermarket and dry out in trays in the greenhouse then store in buckets with lids. And the occasional trip to the local small brewery for spent hops.

Video re compressing shredded paper to keep dry and storage on plot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCH...hwEM88lvJG2HtQ
                    Last edited by Cadalot; 17-05-2019, 10:57 AM.
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Cadalot, when I use the shredded paper, I'm sometimes finding it's 'setting' in a papier mache like layer which nothing gets through. Do I just need to mix it in more, or is there something I'm missing, please?

Comment

Those of you composting teabags, do you find they break down properly? I've been avoiding putting them in the compost bin as they contain some plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by utini View Post
                          Those of you composting teabags, do you find they break down properly? I've been avoiding putting them in the compost bin as they contain some plastic.
                          We've switched to PG Tips tea bags, which are now fully biodegradable. So I've started putting them in the compost.
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by utini View Post
                            I use Yorkshire Tea mainly, and I never have any problems. If they do have any plastic thread in them, it must be so little that it just mixes undetectably with the compost by the end.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                              Cadalot, when I use the shredded paper, I'm sometimes finding it's 'setting' in a papier mache like layer which nothing gets through. Do I just need to mix it in more, or is there something I'm missing, please?
                              I wet the paper down and just cover with greens and a sprinkle of coffee grounds, the worms make their way though it and appear to munch it all up and I end up with lovely compost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-28 Composting - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2383595

In the winter Months I do tend to form a hole in the middle and around the Dalek and fill these up with coffee grounds to get the bacteria munching and warm up the pile again and I'm guessing make the heap a nicer place for the worms and critters to live.

I have a compost turner bit don't really use it that often and now I have a power planter that helps me mix up and brake down the compost when digging out

Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Compost.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	2383594

Here I filled up one compost dalek with the contents of another next to it and could not resist making it smile once I had done so.
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 18-05-2019, 06:30 AM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X