Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Noticed the first Pacific Purple tips poking through today

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    Originally posted by mcdood View Post
    Thanks Bario1. Do you have a view on which is better for ease of care, cropping & taste?
    Does the early Mondeo and late Guelph actually work out that way? Apologies for the inquisition but I've just planted these 2 varieties so curious.
    Tbh, I forgot which was which, but my gut feeling is the really vigorous one is Mondeo (and you mentioning it's an early variety backs that up) - the spears are thicker and sometimes a bit twisted and bent. The other gives thinner, straighter spears that look like supermarket ones. I haven't noticed the Mondeo being much earlier than the Guelph, but I'll keep an eye on them and let you know. As for taste, they both taste great, can't say i've noticed a difference, i cook them all mixed up anyway. And ease of care? I just let them get on with it, various mulches and pull out the occasional weed.

Leave a comment:

• Muddy_Boots
    replied
    Noticed my Asparagus are just poking through, this is year 5 for mine so will be harvesting every spear up until the cut-off date. Really looking forward to this year and it is always best to harvest in the morning rather than the evening, older Asparagus beds can even be harvested twice a day they can grow so fast.

Leave a comment:

• mcdood
    replied
    Thanks Bario1. Do you have a view on which is better for ease of care, cropping & taste?
    Does the early Mondeo and late Guelph actually work out that way? Apologies for the inquisition but I've just planted these 2 varieties so curious.

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    Mine are Mondeo and Guelph Millennium.

Leave a comment:

• mcdood
    replied
    Yeah the Wilko ones already had spindly sprouts which is why I've potted them up rather than in the ground at the moment, will compare against the others in a couple of years all being well.
    That seems quite expensive for Aldi, you can get various varieties at 10 for £12.45 at Mr F. at the moment and cheaper if you buy more. Free P&P this weekend too , code, F19EMAR.

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Originally posted by mcdood View Post
    I also have 2 Wilko bought ones in pots to go in after frosts...
    Yes, I've noticed those Wilko ones in my local store too. Was tempted to get a couple and stick them in a bed and see how they do. My local Aldi also had some Gilnjim for just £1.79 each last week but they seemed pretty small compared to the crowns I got online. Perhaps with a bit of pampering and time they'll give just as good a crop
    Last edited by Gillykat; 30-03-2019, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    I have heard they are supposed to be a tad sweeter and more tender when cut in the morning.

Not got any here...used to grow them in the uk.
    Jealous?.....moi?.....

Really excited for you all....it's so lovely to be able to grow and then pick your own. Well worth the wait!

Leave a comment:

• Vegi potager
    replied
    5cm!

Yesterday my 2nd spear had reached 5cm, just finishing a cuppa and then out to check again. number 1 nibbled by slugs <sniff>
    This will be the 1st year of harvesting hence the twice daily checks!
    VP

Leave a comment:

• mcdood
    replied
    Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
    Just planted my Stewart's Purple crowns yesterday so this will be a post I'll be making in 2021 Or is it 2022?
    I'll be with you hopefully Gillycat , planted my asparagus crowns a week or 2 back, Pacific2000, Mondeo and Guelph Millenium.
    I also have 2 Wilko bought ones in pots to go in after frosts and I have some Connovers Collossal seeds in the propagator to fill any gaps in the bed.
    Nice one Bario1, what variety are they?

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    replied
    This is year four, so looking forward to a nice crop, they did pretty well last year.

Leave a comment:

• Gillykat
    replied
    Just planted my Stewart's Purple crowns yesterday so this will be a post I'll be making in 2021 Or is it 2022?

How old are yours? Can you crop them yet?

Leave a comment:

• bario1
    started a topic First asparagus spear!

First asparagus spear!

Saw the first asparagus spear of the year poking through the compost today!

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X