Asparagus fern turning yellow and dying back a month earlier

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus fern turning yellow and dying back a month earlier

Asparagus fern turning yellow/dying back here, seems about a month ahead of last year. Just wondering if others are seeing the same ?

Mine are still green.
    He-Pep!

Comment

most the surviving ones of mine went over a while back. It is their first year though, so I'm hoping...

Comment

Mine are still in the polytunnel. Grown from seed this year so still looking well.

Question is what to do next. Pot up into bigger pots or make the bed over the winter and plant out in the spring?
        Last edited by 4Shoes; 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Bario1, thank you for saying. Made me look hard and think mine may have purple spot on some thats causing earlier die back. From reading seems removing all fern and other asparagus debris significantly reduces it next year, this year I left 2" to 3" fern stumps so knew where ones alive where, this year will cut to ground and use marker sticks if need be

Bikermike, my replacement crowns that the supplier sent, only 33% survived and have had very poor fern gowth vs what last years crowns that survived were like last year. No idea why

4Shoes, exactly the debate im having on mine grown from seed too this year. Think will keep mine inside so can grow as much fern/root as possible, as planted 2 outside a month ago and they dont have very good looking fern compared to those inside

Comment

Great idea. will give then a wee look over this weekend.

Comment

Had another look today and some are starting to turn now.
              He-Pep!

Comment

Mine are starting to turn yellow.

Comment

Hi my asparagus has been shorter than usual this year and is dying back now which is early, I just thought it maybe time to replace it. The bed has been there about fifteen years and produced well even in our heavy clay soil.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies on the state of play, advice its differcult to get anywhere else.
                    As seems mine didnt turn much earlier than others, wonder if the higher solar radiation this summer means the crowns feel less inclined to drag out fern life. Trees around here are definatly dropping leaves earlier this year.
                    Penny, seems its more common this year for ferns to be yellowing/ dying earlier. As they seem hard work to get started (at least for me) I would wait till got a poor spring crop before debating ripping out a bed
                    Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Mine has just started again earlier than usual. Its probably due to the stress of the hot summer and pefectly natural. What i did do a few years ago was to crop only half the bed and rotate every year by leaving the other half to go fallow so to speak. I reckon mine too is around 15 yrs old and now planning another bed next year due to the crowns showing signs of age. I dont clear the bed until new year when the crowns are in proper dormancy.

Comment

Another year and asparagus again turning in September :-( but seems to be the gijnlim that have turned first, others still holding on

Comment

My asparagus ferns are still green. This is our first year. Ariane Mondeo and Pacific Purple have done particularly well. Ariane is still producing spears. Autumn is late here in Northampton. Leaves yet to start falling.

Comment

No idea what my variety is. I grew them from seed 5 years ago and this year is the first year I really had a proper pick. It was a real treat.
                            It is now starting to turn yellow.

Comment

Mine turned yellow and started shedding bits weeks ago. Now cut down and shredded.
                              As soon as it stops raining for more than 5 minutes, I’ll be covering the asparagus with manure and letting it do it’s thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X