No announcement yet.

New greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommies are coming along, my wifes getting worried about the amount I've grown......
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tumling Tom reds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2373487
    Hanging baskets are very high maintenance, not sure if I will grow tommies in them again

Name:	Tommies.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2373488
    There's Moneymaker, Supersweet 100 and a spare tumbling tom in the pot
    If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

• Grey, damp and miserable outside, but warmish with 18 degrees inside the g/house. Just occurred to me as I go round doing armpits on tommies and removing the odd side stem, am I the only one that doesn't mind if I miss the odd arm pit and end up with an "extra" bit. Also I probably remove the odd side shoot earlier than most, my dad used to tell me off for doing both, but the tommies don't seem to mind.

Comment

• I've missed a few & have a few plants with two leaders now,which makes the plants wider so I don't really like it happening in this space I don't have,I'm going to have to get wings to manoeuvre around here soon,I remove all the other sideshoots some have been huge. If you notice a plants delayed in growth compared to others,have a closer look,it's been concentrating on a huge sideshoot for weeks,I get annoyed with them & think what a cheeky monkey they are

Comment

• 20 degrees inside this morning and the tommies are growing well on their diet of tommorite(yes I know I should make my own, just not collected any kelp off the beach as I was poorly when the last big easterlie blew).

Comment

• Distinct changes of colour in the tommies this week, should get one or two this weekend from the tumbling reds, which I've never grown before.

Name:	Moneymaker and supersweet 100.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2373617

Name:	Ailsa Craig.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2373618
            Ailsa Craig look to be the best cropper.

Name:	Cayennes.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2373619
            The shade for this part of the greenhouse comes from the sweetcorn and sweetpeas.

Comment

• Sweetcorn is going to get snapped to night when the windows shut. Oh 'er

Name:	growing out the roof.jpg
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	2374108
              Last edited by burnie; 24-07-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Do you think you could leave it open? The weather looks nice there in Scotland? Depends on your overnight temperature & what you think etc

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  Sweetcorn is going to get snapped to night when the windows shut. Oh 'er
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]75215[/ATTACH]
                  Best make sure you shake yer tassels before they get snapped off.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

”I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

“Negative results are just what I want. They’re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don’t.”
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• They are auto closers, but luckily they closed gently and have just sort of bent them a bit and pushed them out the way. Yes I am giving them a shake several times a day, but today it was quite breezy, perfect for pollination with the doors shut lol. They must be nearly 8 feet tall!!
                    Last edited by burnie; 24-07-2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Update on the first seasons growing

Name:	Ailsa Craig and chillies.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	2374316
                      There's Cayennes and a GC bought Sweet pepper in pots too.

Name:	Gardeners delight and Supersweet 100.jpg
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	2374317
                      In the far corner is the one sweet pepper I grew from seed, it only has one fruit, but it's a monster.

Name:	Sweetcorn.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	2374318
                      Looks like both varieties are going to produce a decent crop.

Comment

• All the tommies are now producing ripe fruit, not too many yet(luckily), the Sweetcorn won't be too far away now as well. Only the Melon has failed to fruit so far, small male flowers, but no females yet. Chillies and peppers are slow to ripen, but they are growing along nicely. One of my better investments was this greenhouse, so far the Rhino has lived up to the expectations and some.

Comment

• Further update, things are being eaten with some gusto now lol

Name:	Eaten most of it.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	2374824
                          Eaten nearly all of the earliebird raw and now ready for the later planted F1 swift.

Name:	Not so overgrown now.jpg
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	2374825
                          The chillies are excellent, had a curry last night with them and a pizza with sliced green ones the previous day.

Name:	Rugosa di Cosenza giallo.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	2374827
                          The Rugosa di Cosenza giallo are a tad late, the packet says harvest until mid October, so I might get one if I thin them out a bit.

Comment

• Whilst I still have a few tomato plants with flowers that just might keep going for a bit longer, the greenhouse has pretty much completed it's first growing season, thought I'd do a bit of a report on successes and failure.
                            The failure(singular) is simple to deal with, the Bulb Fennel went to seed again, one last chance outside next year.
                            A nearly failure was the Melon, I was late planting and didn't feed it enough thinking as it was in the manured soil it didn't need extra feed..........wrong, my fault will try again next year in a big pot.
                            Successes were pretty good, even if I say so myself, tomatoes in the plastic rings were excellent, no problems with the plants at all and the crops have all been good. I will grow the same varieties next year, but less large ones like Ailsa Craig and Moneymaker(I had 5 of each) and more sweet smaller ones. I don't think I will use the hanging baskets for the tumbling toms, purely because of high maintenance, watering twice a day limits your ability to live a life and go on holidays.
                            The sweetcorn grown under glass(we are quite a long way ooop north)was a super success too, F1 Swift, though later than earliebird, was the nicest in the eat it raw taste test. I will grow more early salads next year, lettuce and radish were greatly received even though I can't eat them at the moment(I sort of hope the NHS will get my Gall Bladder out and I can eat normally again, it's seven months I've been waiting).
                            I grew some early Sweetpeas in one corner, that was nice, but they became a pain later on, so might put some in a container that I can move outside later.
                            In summary, I shall continue using the soil and containers as both had there plus points, I shall try and grow something new in there every year and finally, I can recommend the brand I have, sturdy and so easy to use and keep clean as it uses large single panes of glass, not joined smaller sheets.

Comment

• Sounds like you've had a lot of successes, Burnie. Will you be growing anything in it over the winter. I know you can't eat salad stuff but there are other things like overwintering onions and garlic that can be grown in a greenhouse.

I have got one tomato plant left in the greenhouse. The rest of that area is now being cleared for salad leaves and garlic. The chard has done very well in there grown in the shadiest spot after my lettuce finished and radish and onion shoots are just starting to come up in the front border.

It is amazing how much you can pack into a greenhouse. I have yet to fill it completely to capacity despite trying very hard
                              LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• To be honest last winter I only used it to store pots with tender stuff in it, we get some ferocious frosts here, not much snow as I'm only 100 feet above sea level and only a mile from the sea, but it can get very cold. I spend from now till Boxing Day fishing in the sea, then I shall switch on the heated propagator and start my onion seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X