Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick shot with the pocket camera before it get too dark
    Attached Files
    If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      The fitter who built it said that grapes can actually cause damage if you're not carefull, havin' a thunk about it.
      Their little tendrils creep everywhere. I've had some go between the glass panes.
      Thanks for the pic - looks super

Comment

It does look good burnie

Comment

Looks great! You could decide next year,once you've seen how much space your tomatoes etc will take up? I prune my grape in the summer,it gets too huge & grows under my shed roof a bit so I stop all that,so you can cut bits off,could you plant it at the back of the greenhouse & train it along the inside of the roof so the sides are free? The grape leaves could provide a bit of extra insulation on cold summer nights for tomatoes? If you don't like it you can massively prune it. It will be great either way!

Comment

I personally wouldn't have a Grapevine especially if it's a glass GH. The roots ideally need to be planted outside & the vine grown inside. I did it with a polycarb GH as I could easily cut a hole in one of the panels to feed the vine through but glass?......................
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              I personally wouldn't have a Grapevine especially if it's a glass GH. The roots ideally need to be planted outside & the vine grown inside. I did it with a polycarb GH as I could easily cut a hole in one of the panels to feed the vine through but glass?......................
              The idea is you dig a hole outside the greenhouse, big enough for the dead sheep and then plant the vine at an angle, threading the stem under the base of the greenhouse, never through the glass. That however is not my concern, the vigorous growth if not kept in check, can get under the glass and could potentially cause damage if not noticed.

Comment

Looks great burnie.....well done
                ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Threading the vine under the GH wasn't an option for me! Mine has a concrete floor and the beds are built on top of it...............as for the dead sheep

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                    Looks great burnie.....well done
                    I'd like to take the credit for building it, but truth is I did a bit of labouring and getting in the way lol.

Comment

Fantastic....!
                      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

It really was wet for the 2 days of the build, so at present I'm just letting it dry out inside, all I've bought is a maximum/minimum thermometer. I will endeavour to go through the process from start to the end of next year in case any one learns/gets inspiration/notes my deliberate mistakes, so we can add our own wisdom to the process.

Comment

My assistant

All this brings back the memory of 142 pieces of glass and all those nuts, bolts and clips!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                            All this brings back the memory of 142 pieces of glass and all those nuts, bolts and clips!![ATTACH=CONFIG]69400[/ATTACH]
                            I'd welcome any advice Danny on what you think is a must have and if there's anything to avoid.

Comment

Read the instructions very carefully. There's nothing more frustrating than having to take out an extrusion because you've slid in one bolt short. You can cheat by having a few cropped head bolts on hand.

I also photocopied all the instructions and put them in knitting pattern folders as unexpected showers can leave them a mush and errant foxes can shred them!

If your bolts are ali take it easy as they shear if you heave on them. Don't tighten up fully until all glass in. Fitting my last panes needed a lot of jiggling.

I'll have a stroll down to mine see what else I can remember.

Comment

Hi Burnie!

"Nice Job"

With regards to the "Grapevive" I've done it, but that was in my homemade PT which is made from corrugated plastic as opposed to actual glass, but can't see why you wouldn't get away with it in your brand new shiny setup!

I find also come "Midsummer" the vine offers a little shade too, but yes, and this is a big yes, you do have to keep it in check!

But does well for me!

Good Luck! Whatever you decide!
                                Attached Files
                                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X