New greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Put slabs inside burnie but as you have a bit of time, dig a trench 9"-12" deep to sit the slabs on, this will then give you extra headroom.
    I tried this in the top greenhouse here, but there's something about stepping in and down which made me stand up straighter and I kept hitting my head on the top of the door frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Lardman View Post
      I tried this in the top greenhouse here, but there's something about stepping in and down which made me stand up straighter and I kept hitting my head on the top of the door frame.
      Go in backwards.....................
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Go in backwards.....................
        Can't do that - I have to go in sideways it's only a 2ft door

Comment

I've only had my GH on slabs ~ I like to be able to move things around. Also doesn't get muddy and can slosh water around everywhere.
          Not been bothered by ants, to date .......
          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

All the metal work is done, long job, glass goes in tomorrow, it looks huge, but I bet I soon fill it.
            If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

Oooh, well done you ......it's really exciting!!!

When we were 'putting together' my GH, it took us two days ~ one for the framework then another full day fitting the glass. It made me everso nervous, I thought that we were going to break every pane that we first picked up ......

We made it though - with only one breakage that really made me jump ...... the pane of glass literally 'shattered' into what looked like thousands of tiny pieces - almost spontaneously - just as I was holding it, about to offer it into place .......it sounded like a bullet had been fired at it ...... and I just stood looking around, hands still in the 'holding' position, with a heap of broken glass strewn around me.......

It was a faulty pane and the company replaced it without a quibble!

So really good luck burnie- take photos too, before and after!

Oh and yes ~ you will soon fill it ~ guaranteed...!!!!!!
              Last edited by SusieG; 15-10-2016, 05:26 AM.
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

We are suffering a mini hurricane as I peer into the dark, doubt I'll get pictures during the build due to the rain. Sunday is forecast a nice day to go shopping in the garden centre though.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  All the metal work is done, long job, glass goes in tomorrow, it looks huge, but I bet I soon fill it.
                  I bit your gonna love your new glass box. I love.both of mine.

Just make sure you really want a grape vine though, it could in a short space of time, fill quite a bit of your greenhouse.....

I would also go with a few slabs on the floor, a nice stable floor to stand on, slabs will absorb a bit of heat, reflect a bit of light back up to your plants....

And slabs just laiddown are easy to remove anytime.....

I would advise you get yourself a decent max/min thermometer, so you can see how hot and how cold the temperatures gets to....

And if you have auto vents, disable them for the coming months, sunny days and high winds don't mix.

Any pics yet....?
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

A good site for greenhouse staging and other bits is Gardening Supplies Online from Two Wests and Elliott, the UK's Favourite

And this site does very good extra thick fleece, which I use to line my greenhouse to keep the chill out....

Grow Fruit and Vegetables without Pesticides with Gardening Naturally
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                      I bit your gonna love your new glass box. I love.both of mine.

Just make sure you really want a grape vine though, it could in a short space of time, fill quite a bit of your greenhouse.....

I would also go with a few slabs on the floor, a nice stable floor to stand on, slabs will absorb a bit of heat, reflect a bit of light back up to your plants....

And slabs just laiddown are easy to remove anytime.....

I would advise you get yourself a decent max/min thermometer, so you can see how hot and how cold the temperatures gets to....

And if you have auto vents, disable them for the coming months, sunny days and high winds don't mix.

Any pics yet....?
                      I think we're on the same wave length, I have got clamps supplied to secure the vents(after disconnecting them first)

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                        A good site for greenhouse staging and other bits is Gardening Supplies Online from Two Wests and Elliott, the UK's Favourite

And this site does very good extra thick fleece, which I use to line my greenhouse to keep the chill out....

Grow Fruit and Vegetables without Pesticides with Gardening Naturally
                        I'll look at these tonite, thanks

Comment

It's completed and wouldn't you know it the rain stopped as the last bit of cement for the anchors went in. Plenty of height inside, so a nice level(ish) 2 foot wide slabbed path to match up with the low level threshold entrance and a bit of a patio out side the doors to match. I'll wait till it's dried both inside and out before I start all of that.
                          First decision, Grapes or not?
                          Will take some pictures later

Comment

Bet you're excited
                            Re Grapes, I grew one outside the GH and trained it inside through a corner cut out a pane of glass
                            I'm not the best at pruning and keeping plants under control, but I found it much too vigorous and it cast a lot of shade on the plants beneath. I won't do it again.

Comment

I'd toyed with the idea of growing a grape vine outside and have it grow through a 'hole' in the GH. Still haven't ruled it out ~ BUT I'm not keen on hacking through my GH now (should've done it before completing it) and don't know if I'd have the time/inclination to keep it pruned properly.....
                              The shading out of light to the other plants below was also an issue....

So, probably won't go ahead with this idea... probably..!!
                              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Bet you're excited
                                Re Grapes, I grew one outside the GH and trained it inside through a corner cut out a pane of glass
                                I'm not the best at pruning and keeping plants under control, but I found it much too vigorous and it cast a lot of shade on the plants beneath. I won't do it again.
                                The fitter who built it said that grapes can actually cause damage if you're not carefull, havin' a thunk about it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X