No announcement yet.

New greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetcorn still coming along, some eaten as I grew in succession, will do that again next year too.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02629.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	2385271
    If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

• Britain's Breakfast tommies described in the catalogue as lemon shaped fruit, they are sort of odd and are close to lemon sized and very nice on toast.

Name:	DSC02642.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	2385274

Name:	DSC02643.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2385275

Comment

• Well that's the growing season done in the greenhouse, I have some cut and come again lettuce seedlings, but they don't look they will come to much to be honest. Overnight temps down to 3 degrees inside and there light has been poor for a few days now. I cleaned the glass inside and out, just the bits behind the cross braces and the corners to do with a cloth and a small brush to finish the job.

Comment

• Temps down to 2 degrees at night so plunged the pots of strawberries into the border soil, fleece placed over tender stuff like dahlias(still in pots also plunged in ground), feels proper wintry out there this morning.

Comment

• Had a bit of a tidy up, removed a lot of dead leaves from the strawberries and also removed flower spikes too, let the plants hibernate now. Cut and come lettuce is still growing, but painfully slow, put a cloche over it to give a bit of help heat wise.

Comment

• Running out of room in the conservatory, so what might be termed as overspill plants have been in the blowaway inside the greenhouse. Over night temps are around 6 degrees in there, but everything seems to be ok.

Name:	DSC02683.jpg
Size:	755.0 KB
ID:	2386909

Also added manure to the tomato bed and added cane supports, the plants are around a month away from being planted, but it feels like I'm gardening doing this lol
              Attached Files

Comment

• With the Tomato plants looking decidedly stressed in their pots I took the decision to harden them off in the blowaway inside the greenhouse and see how they went. With overnight temps still going down to below 4 degrees I wasn't sure how they'd get on, but they seemed to be doing ok and still growing. So two days ago I went for it and put them in the borders in their grow rings as the forecast is for slightly warmer overnight temps. I cover them with fleece at night and they seem to have perked up from the tired looking plants in the pots. The roots were going round in the pots, so I'm sure I've made the right decision, there are back up plants in the blow away if we do get another frost...……..fingers crossed.

Comment

• With overnight temperatures now slowly rising the greenhouse is looking better, the tomatoes I planted in the border have picked nicely and the experiments growing peas and carrots under glass for an earlier crop seems to be working well. I've under planted the tomatoes with dwarf French beans and they too are thriving, I am however putting fleece on them at night just in case, last nights temperature was 6 degrees, so still keeping my fingers crossed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• This idea of growing under glass for an earlier crop seems to be working, though no flowers on the peas yet, carrots are growing well. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02701.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	677.7 KB
ID:	2495718

Comment

• Whilst "doing the armpits" on the tomatoes I've noticed some flowers especially on the Gardeners Delight, yahoo it feels like winter has finally gone up here.

Comment

• I love that you call them armpits!

Comment

• Tomatoes, French beans and chillies all coming along

Name:	DSC02715.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	924.4 KB
ID:	2497639

Comment

• With temperatures down to 9 degrees, I had a good check round the greenhouse today,everything is looking healthy and the peas are now covered with pods. I wasn't sure how they'd go under glass, wasn't sure if they'd pollinate, but you can see the peas inside the pods and some are fattening up well. The early carrot experiment is also going well, we might have our first ones today with roast pork.

Comment

• I under sow the tomatoes with quick growing crops, last year it was lettuce, this year it's dwarf French beans, gives an earlier crop than the ones outside and they are finished and removed by the time the tomatoes are cropping.

Name:	DSC02723.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	2498331

Comment

• The French Strawberries are close to the finish of the first flush, I remove all the old flower stems give them a shot of tomato feed and some new flowers are already appearing.
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02742.JPG Views:	0 Size:	748.8 KB ID:	2500799
                                Last edited by burnie; 25-06-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X