No announcement yet.

New greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a good plan We get very wet but mild winters and snow is becoming rare. Didn't get any last year and 2015 snow only visited for half a day. Shame as I love snow. Am testing to see what works or not over the winter.
    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• Not so new any more

Crops now lifted and mostly eaten, one last tomato for todays lunch.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	In for the winter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	2375407
      pots planted and sorted ready for springtime

Name:	Still some colour.jpg
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	2375408
      Nice splash of colour from the fuchsia.

Name:	Strawberries.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2375409
      The Strawberries inside are now being rested, though they are still throwing out flowers, the Alpines outside grown from seed this year are amazing.
      If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

• A new year close to beginning, the manure is dug in one side ready for Butternut squash and melons on this side.

Name:	DSC02365.jpg
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2376530
        Manure will be going in the bottom this week, this end will be for the Sweetcorn

Name:	DSC02366.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	2376531
        Finally this side will have the tommies in, I don't intend to grow the Tumbling Toms in hanging baskets this year as they needed watering twice a day, the baskets will be out side this year.

Name:	DSC02364.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2376532
        Needless to say there's a lot of "junk" to be moved too

Comment

• To bring the first season to an end, I am cleaning all the glass, lifted the strawberry runners from the border where they rooted and potted them on. Final addition of manure to the borders and de-weeded the new spring shoots and all will be ready for sowing some early salad crops in the border as I did last year. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed my first season in a while in the greenhouse, the Rhino has survived some ferocious winter weather and all looks well.

Comment

• If you have space you should consider if you can grow some stuff overwinter in your greenhouse next year. This year I grew garlic, kale, broccoli, mizuna and a few early Dutch irises and tulips for cutting. These plants will all be out by the time my summer plants need the space. Except the garlic which is interplanted with asparagus. Itís lovely to go to greenhouse in the depths of winter and pick something green. Although the plants I overwinter in my polytunnel are hardy they like the protected conditions under cover and are much bigger sand better than the outside ones. By the time your summer plants need the space the outside plants should be growing well and you can take out the winter stuff and dump or eat it.
            Last edited by muck lover; 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• I have resurrected this old thread as a tool to show the crop rotation in practice and for direct comparison of the crops.
              The sweet corn is grown under glass this far north as the summers are still too un predictable to ripen the cobs, growing quite well, these are Swift F1

Name:	DSC02568.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	2384577
              Something I grew last year and repeating this is butternut squash

Name:	DSC02567.jpg
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	2384578
              There are nine tomatoes in the plastic grow rings, another three "spares" in the soil without rings, three more "spares" in pots in there along with 3 pots of Hungarian Hot Wax chillies

Name:	DSC02566.jpg
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	2384579

and yes the wild flowers are even in the greenhouse as well as all over the garden

Comment

• Just need a few to ripen now

Name:	DSC02596.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2384885

Comment

• These breakfast tomatoes are odd looking things, not ripe yet so no idea what they taste like lol. Butternut squash are doing well too.

Name:	DSC02609.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	2384988

Name:	DSC02605.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2384989

Comment

• This heat will help bring the tomatoes along, chillies are doing very well this year too.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02626.jpg
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	2385096

Comment

• The sweetcorn is doing well, this year I sowed in succession to get a staggered crop and that is working well, some have been eaten without getting a glut, I might try this with tomatoes next year and sow some a bit earlier than I did this year.

Comment

• It dropped to 5 degrees in the greenhouse last night, I guess that'll be the end of the tommies outside then. Everything inside looks ok, chillies will need watching, we even had a small Aurora too.

Comment

• gosh! you don't get long for a growing season up there do you? Was that air temp or soil? I'd guess the ground will stay a bit warmer for longer.?

Comment

• We get long days in the summer, so most things can get a wriggle on, frost has occurred in the Glens already and it can snow in any month on the hills, luckily that's a half hour drive away.

Comment

• I always thought it's grim up north...

Just out of interest when do your outdoor and greenhouse growing seasons end?

Comment

• It does vary year to year, we are on the colder and usually drier East coast, so if we get northerly winds, that shuts everything down, any other direction and I can still be growing stuff in the un heated greenhouse, I've had tomatoes still hanging on until late October a couple years ago. Outside will finish before the end of this month, most stuff lifted, but root crops are covered and left in the ground till needed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X