Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&Q Verve 6x8 Polycarbonate Greenhouse In Store - Cheap!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nannysally99
    replied
    Absolutely not yet John, waiting for someone to put one up and give me guidance. This greenhouse was bought under duress, my husband didn't want it. He will definitely want to play in it once it's up lol.
    It would be easier to buy polycarbonate glazing on line for under £40 ish, I just need to have the information ready gift when it gets put up. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• skeggijon
    replied
    Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
    The box did stick out of our fiesta by about six inches, secured with a couple of bungee ropes.
    Any idea what glazing you are going to get? Am interested to see if polycarbonate could be used. Let me know what you think please
    The plan is to use them as fruit and brassica cages, since I've already got a 20ft and a 10ft polytunnel, but I could still be convinced to use them as greenhouses if I can sort out glazing at a reasonable cost.

Leave a comment:

• Nannysally99
    replied
    Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
    Amazing - I finally found a store with some 6 x 4 greenhouses left at £10 each. They've agreed to hold them for me til tomorrow morning. The question now is will I get them in my car - it's a citroen c5
    The box did stick out of our fiesta by about six inches, secured with a couple of bungee ropes.
    Any idea what glazing you are going to get? Am interested to see if polycarbonate could be used. Let me know what you think please

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I've had 12ft lengths of timber hanging out the passenger window before today............

Leave a comment:

• skeggijon
    replied
    Feeling even happier then. Thanks BM

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Amazing - I finally found a store with some 6 x 4 greenhouses left at £10 each. They've agreed to hold them for me til tomorrow morning. The question now is will I get them in my car - it's a citroen c5
    Should do Jon, the longest part will be 6ft (so the box may be a couple of inches longer) & should go in if front passenger seat folds down/back.

Leave a comment:

• skeggijon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Well I've had a good day today. Perseverance and a friendly attitude pays off.

I now have partial refunds on my previous purchases (thanks to the 50% off the clearance price thing which isn't being widely advertised but I managed to avail myself of anyway) and I've ended up with a 4' x 6' frame for £15 (which will be used with net as a fruit cage) and 5 complete 6' x 8' greenhouses for £22.50 each. I had to travel quite far to various different stores after spending ages on the phone first ensuring there were actual stocks there so it wasn't as easy as just going to the local store and picking them up off the shelf, but I figure it was worth the time, effort and petrol costs.

I've decided I have plans for 3 of them and the other 2 will be given as gifts to family so I'm really pleased (as will they be).

Huge thanks to the Rhyswales for letting us all know about this in the first place. I'm a very happy bunny now.

There are still a few frame packs dotted about but I think the glazing packs are pretty much done.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Just to add that the GH boxes are made of some sort of polycarb and, when opened out, are the exact size for a approx 2' wide path down the middle of the GH.
    They've been stabbed a few times to allow rainwater to drain through - so, don't throw them away, make paths

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Just need to sort out the path and net it and I'm all set. I'm really pleased with how its come together...........and I still have a 4th frame and most of the glazing to play with
    Hope everyone else is as pleased with their's/

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    put some ties in on all the intermediate glazing bars at above head height.
    Lovely. That'll last years and years. What a great addition to your growing space!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin H View Post
    That's a fine piece of engineering you've done there, VC.

I would make one suggestion though, for extra rigidity I would put horizontal ties in above head height where the greenhouses join. This will eliminate any tendency for the eaves to splay outwards. Like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48975[/ATTACH]
    Thanks Martin. Took your advice but put some ties in on all the intermediate glazing bars at above head height. The GHs are bolted together where they join so hope they'll stabilise each other.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    The 6' x 4' frame I bought is £7.50 now! Seriously considering taking mine back and trying to re-buy it, lol.

Leave a comment:

• alldigging
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Its Palram polycarb, packaged as Verve. Some of the panels were badly cut and had to be straightened up with scissors down one side. Have only fitted the front and back ends but they fit well once trimmed.
    This said Palram on the packet not verve,. Hadn't paid any attention when we picked it up as Holly off their B&Q twitter sorted it by us getting the bar code off the frame pack.

Anyway, took one frame back last night (Had bought a base for £15 to do what we'd originally bought the GH frame for) and the pack of stuff.
    It'll be at Chadderton B&Q if anyone wants to go and ask if they've thrown it in a skip yet.
    The other frame will be glazed using polycarbonate - someone else doing that though not me.

I did buy a roll of duct tape for 50p last night though )

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    I tried main customer service number and they were even less helpful, She said she could only access the website and if I want to find any stock I have to ring each store individually. Thanks B & Q!
    Wow. That's awful. I called the main line today and the girl searched throughout Scotland for me and told me how many each store had on their system. She did say I'd be best calling the stores to get someone to physically check just to make sure their stock levels were accurate (they weren't btw and a few stores that were supposed to have stock actually had none).

I'm sorry you've had such a bother.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X