Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B&Q Verve 6x8 Polycarbonate Greenhouse In Store - Cheap!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC (or anyone else) have you actually joined these together? Just wondering if they joined ok or if they needed to be sat beside each other but not fixed together iyswim.

Comment

I'll put a photo up when the rain stops
      I put 3 end to end to make a 6 x 24 frame. Getting the base level over 24' was a problem as lots of soil had to be dug out and moved - but its essential that they are level if you want to join them..
      There are holes in the frame so that you can bolt 2 frames together for extra stability.
      Mine are only "glazed" at the door and back end as I'll be putting netting over the lot. I had intended to have a door at both ends but that would have meant even more digging out.
      Any questions and I'll try to answer them

Comment

Thanks VC. I may be getting another two today (waiting on a call back from a store and they're in no hurry ) and I'm just considering my options.

I'm toying with having 2 joined together as one long greenhouse, or 2 joined but with one greenhouse/one netted, or 3 joined in a line or .... etc etc.

My concern is the (central) back end. If for example two were joined back to back, do you need to cut out a horizontal piece of framing on the back walls, so you can step through?
        Last edited by gardening_gal; 28-08-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
          My concern is the (central) back end. If for example two were joined back to back, do you need to cut out a horizontal piece of framing on the back walls, so you can step through?
          You can put the 2 uprights in but leave out the horizontal so you don't have to duck under it. Then bolt it to the other GH for rigidity.
          Here's some I prepared earlier ;

View from door

Two bases showing gap between frame

Two roofs meet but with gap in frames below - this can be bolted across or the rooves bolted together.

Inside GH where 2 meet, horizontal bar omitted and only 2 diagonal braces used. Note the bolts between the frame upright and also on the roof.

Inside GH, through door - so much framework but full head height above central path

Hope this helps
          Attached Files

Comment

It helps loads VC, thank you so much! That's going to be one impressive fruit cage once it's filled!

Store called, got 2 put aside for me. They are now £12.50 for the glazing and £10 for the frame.

All clearance above a fiver is 50% off from today. Below a fiver is 50% off from tomorrow. Can't not buy at that price.

Had to phone round loads of places though, little to no stocks left anywhere. Their computers say they may have x amount in stock but the reality is there is no physical stock there so you really need to check first.

I'm driving even further today to get these two, lol, but I've got not much else to do and even adding the price of petrol will still make it worthwhile.

Comment

Edited photo to show where the bolts are. Although the gap at the bottom of the uprights is wider at the base than at the eaves, it doesn't seem to make any difference to the rigidity of the structure. I don't think it will blow away in a hurry
              Attached Files

Comment

That's a fine piece of engineering you've done there, VC.

I would make one suggestion though, for extra rigidity I would put horizontal ties in above head height where the greenhouses join. This will eliminate any tendency for the eaves to splay outwards. Like this:

Attached Files
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

The frames are verve the polycarbonate is palram and they don't match!

Friend bought it off me and have wasted the afternoon wondering why they don't fit...

Comment

B & Q stores in Lincolnshire have been singularly unhelpful in helping me locate any of the greenhouses on offer
                    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                      B & Q stores in Lincolnshire have been singularly unhelpful in helping me locate any of the greenhouses on offer

Well despite giving the girl on twitter the bar code off the greenhouse we've ended up with a mismatch.

Just probably means the staff who said they didn't have the polycarbonate on the day we bought the frames were right..

Ah well their returns desk is by the door
                      Last edited by alldigging; 28-08-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                        You just scared the heck out of me there, I've just gone and checked mine. All Verve thank goodness. Sorry you're having hassle.

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                        That's a shame. I had the opposite experience, one store assistant spent at least half an hour helping me sort out what was what, where it was and she phoned another store to get them to keep things aside for me. I intend to get in touch with the store manager to praise her. Another bloke in another store was also very helpful on the phone.

Maybe you could try the main customer service number and see if they can locate stock anywhere? I think you may struggle now though, especially after today's latest reduction.

Comment

• Originally posted by alldigging View Post

Friend bought it off me and have wasted the afternoon wondering why they don't fit...
                          Its Palram polycarb, packaged as Verve. Some of the panels were badly cut and had to be straightened up with scissors down one side. Have only fitted the front and back ends but they fit well once trimmed.

Comment

• The polycarb panels slide down slots in the frame. They are not held in with W clips as per standard greenhouses.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
                              That's a shame. I had the opposite experience, one store assistant spent at least half an hour helping me sort out what was what, where it was and she phoned another store to get them to keep things aside for me. I intend to get in touch with the store manager to praise her. Another bloke in another store was also very helpful on the phone.

Maybe you could try the main customer service number and see if they can locate stock anywhere? I think you may struggle now though, especially after today's latest reduction.
                              I tried main customer service number and they were even less helpful, She said she could only access the website and if I want to find any stock I have to ring each store individually. Thanks B & Q!
                              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

• I've still not got one
                                I'm very sad.
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X