Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Congratulations. Hope you have lots of fun in there.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Teeny is better than none enjoy it,you’ll make good use of space,is it up now? How exciting

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I grow what we really like and is expensive or tasteless(often both) in the supermarkets, I got some of those crop head bolts and mounted some brackets, got a couple of window boxes and grow Strawberries, get the perpetual ones then they crop all year and this doesn't take up any room that you need for other crops. You could grow other crops like this as well if you like. Have a look at my thread on how I grow my tomatoes, I use those rings that are sold for use with growbags, they give you a bottomless pot to put the plants in and I am able to get them a bit closer together, saves a bit of space too.

Leave a comment:

• w33blegurl
    replied
    Thanks all! I ended up ordering a rhino. It's only a teeny one (6x4) but I just could not justify giving over more of the garden as the kids and husband would have killed me I do have an allotment as well tho so perhaps the next big purchase will be a proper polytunnel for there and I do have the space to go a lot bigger!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    We have an Elite 6ft 3 x 10ft 6 in aluminium with Black trim and high eaves. Superb quality and very strong but the instructions could have been better. It is however 13 years old now so maybe the instructions have improved. Despite its age it still looks really good and we're still very pleased with it.

Leave a comment:

• Peteyd
    replied
    I went for a Rhino. Really good quality, Easy to assemble (did it pretty much alone apart from the glazing) and great help from the company (I was missing a part, was delivered next day)

One bit of advice I was given when choosing... Go for the biggest you can fit in. scientifically - temperature fluctuations are much larger and harder to control in a small greenhouse, Practically - You will always fun out of space, not matter how big so if you have more space, you wont run out as fast

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Get the biggest you can squeeze in...you’ll always run out of space

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    To gain extra height, on a greenhouse I had many years ago I sank the path to give me more height, so I stepped down into mine, saved building a wall, used timber like you would for a raised bed to keep the soil in place.

Leave a comment:

• w33blegurl
    replied
    Thanks all! mrsbusy, that's a good point about the height which I'd not considered, will add that to my list to think about! Thanks all for the input on the extras too. I'm leaning towards the rhino at the moment as it seems the toughest, but hopefully I won't dither too long before ordering!!

Leave a comment:

• mrsbusy
    replied
    My allotment GH is a Freecycle find but think it is a Hall. It's 6'x6'.
    It seemed quite low so we built a block foundation wall to raise it up by one foot and bolted the GH onto the blocks which made it very stable, I do have to step over the threshold but don't find it a problem and the extra height for me and the Tom's is worth it. We put water butts on each side so bought the down pipes for that and some wire shelves which fold down. We put timber 2x2 post across 3 sides to tie the Tom's up to using baler twine and they also will hold hanging baskets. We plant straight into the soil and I made a small standing area down with middle with 3 rows of bricks and 3 blocks which look nice and keep me off the soil. I put some wooden sides round the 'path' so I can bump up the soil if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    My Rhino is superb, well built and they do loads of extras, though all I wanted came as standard, auto vents and side louvres, not the cheapest, but I'm in a windy coastal spot and I wanted a strong one.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Julia can’t help with GH brands mine was a freebie given to me by my next door neighbour.

I did buy a Louvre window and an auto- vent roof opener, both are good buys that help with ventilation.

Enjoy your new GH.

Leave a comment:

• w33blegurl
    started a topic New greenhouse

New greenhouse

Afternoon lovely lot!

I am hopefully going to be hitting the button on a new greenhouse soon. I'm super limited space wise and it will likely be a 6x4 or a 6x6 (I have also seen a pent-roof 4x8 (Elite?) which might be an option.). Anything will be better than the now quite decrepit blowaway that I currently have! We have kids so has to be toughened glass and am thinking aluminium framed. My googling has so far suggested a Rhino, a Halls Supreme or an Elite pent-roofed one. Any feedback on any of these brands, or any other brands I should think about would be hugely appreciated!

Also what optional extras are a must when buying??
    Thanks!
    Julia

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X