• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vivienz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    It might be prudent to do this in phases, once you have your tunnel maybe create a small part of this and insulate/heat/light that and begin your growing and then expand as funds/time allow. I did something similar in a part of a greenhouse when I lived in Leicestershire, heating with a paraffin heater and used a mercury vapour lamp. Biggest problem I had was damp, which created mould.

Leave a comment:

• 8thDay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I use a grow light in our house to start some tomatoes,peppers & flower seeds off a bit earlier in December/January,then they go outside & fruit a bit earlier,then you don’t need a heater as it’s inside,a pool cover sounds expensive & difficult to get to the plants? Have you got any broccoli,brussels sprouts,carrots,parsnips outside growing now,that will be ready to harvest in the winter,we can use the growing seasons we have by planning what crops to grow to cover the winter season. What exactly do you want to achieve so that we can help because say you wanted to harvest tomatoes in January,the plants would need starting earlier,they take a long season to grow but things like radish & spring onions would be quicker. I make tomato sauces & freeze them for winter use,could you freeze some fruit?

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Hi and welcome, big project you have in mind there, most equipment for sale for the home use seem to be just for that, on a windowsill in the home. Now I know there are folk in the Shetlands growing in polytunnels under lights to extend the season, but I think the crops grown are limited. LED's seem to be the way to go, good light colour and consume a lot less energy. There will no doubt be commercial systems used by professionals, but I'm unsure where you would get those, here's a list to start you off and good luck . https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/grow-...%20items...%20
    Keep us posted on how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• Opinions and advice sought on a second growing season plan

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X