Greenhouse identification

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse identification

Hi folks - I'm being given this greenhouse - hooray! - which although dilapidated, has good bones and is a sizeable 8 x 12. The name plate is gone - is there any way of identifying the make of the greenhouse in its absence? More for curiosity than anything else.

T Click image for larger version

Name:	G1.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	2501020
    Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2501021 hank you!

No idea but a bit of work there. Could you google images greenhouses and see if any names come up.
    Northern England.

Comment

Maybe there's a greenhouse preservation society or an enthusiasts' website (don't laugh there at the back) ? - you could post this query on that and have 6 or 7 experts queueing up to tell you its Crittall model xf7 produced in the late 50's in Birmingham or something :-)

Comment

Hee heee. I've seen another like it in Google images, but it's an old listing and I can't get to the details.

Yes, lots of work. The proposal is to board up the gable you can see, which has been fire damaged. The rest of the frame is sound, but I'm going to be buying a heck of a lot of greenhouse glass.... Eeep.

Comment

You can usually get loads of horticultural glass on eBay cheaply, as long as you are not in a hurry - assuming your GH uses standard width panes I'd reckon £40 ought to do it.

Comment

Facebook Marketplace, too. I see greenhouse glass on there at least a couple times a month. It's usually only half a dozen panes at a time, but if you only need it ready by next spring, you could easily accumulate enough by then.

Comment

The main problem that I can see with the glass are the panes at the sides on the gable ends which all look shaped (angled sides). One of my small greenhouses is the same and after several failed attempts at glass cutting I had to have them cut. Good luck with it.

Comment

Glass cutting is fairly easy, once you get the hang of it - the main learning requirements are a decent cutting tool, a steady hand and a large supply of cheap glass to practice on - I do agree it's not a skill worth learning if you only want a few pieces cut and have only got new glass to use which you have to pay for, but people chuck out glass all the time, so getting free glass just requires a little time and effort.

Comment

Here's an alternative way of finding out the name.....have you asked the person who gave it to you?

te he....You just never know!

Its a lovely pressie..well done you
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The plot has been taken over by a new tenant, the greenhouse was already there. By coincidence the neice of the original greenhouse owner has another plot on site and she's told me about Uncle George but couldn't remember the name of the brand!

Yes, I think I'll have to get the shaped panes cut, it's a skill I have no ambition to acquire!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X