Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The All in One circle is for anyone who doesn't want 20 different tomatoes.
    Most members of that circle grow lots of different tomatoes - 20 isn't unusual - and the seeds will be viable for a couple of years so there's no need to sow them all at once.

Comment

Vsp - I offer up my unique seeds, and request what I want from whichever list my offer is from. If I send 1 variety can only request 1.

Yep

Seed swap - I send in my seeds (can't be something common that everyone has) 1pk per group member. In return I get 1 pack from each member. So for a tomato swap with 12 members I should get 11 types of tomato seeds for sending in 1 unique one?
      What I don't understand is members sending in multiple varieties. So if I send 1 variety and say Scarlet sends in 3 will each member get 11+2 and Scarlet gets 11?

Yes and Yes. (It may seem unfair to 'Scarlet in the example' but there are a lot of old hands/seedaholics/generous peeps and it is not an issue)

I'm sure s/one mentioned they could appreciate ppl might not want 20 different tomatoes and so on so. Does that mean there is some leeway to decline seeds? Clearly we don't want the coordinator with a bagful of seeds going to waste too. How has that worked in the past?

That was me saying tom seeds were fine in the all in circle, but the circles is all the seeds offered no declining as it complicates things.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
        Vsp - I offer up my unique seeds, and request what I want from whichever list my offer is from. If I send 1 variety can only request 1.

Yep

Seed swap - I send in my seeds (can't be something common that everyone has) 1pk per group member. In return I get 1 pack from each member. So for a tomato swap with 12 members I should get 11 types of tomato seeds for sending in 1 unique one?
        What I don't understand is members sending in multiple varieties. So if I send 1 variety and say Scarlet sends in 3 will each member get 11+2 and Scarlet gets 11?

Yes and Yes. (It may seem unfair to 'Scarlet in the example' but there are a lot of old hands/seedaholics/generous peeps and it is not an issue)

I'm sure s/one mentioned they could appreciate ppl might not want 20 different tomatoes and so on so. Does that mean there is some leeway to decline seeds? Clearly we don't want the coordinator with a bagful of seeds going to waste too. How has that worked in the past?

That was me saying tom seeds were fine in the all in circle, but the circles is all the seeds offered no declining as it complicates things.
        That's fair enough! Who's gonna refuse 20 different toms? Not me!

Thanks Norfolkgrey. Already joined swaps and will throw in my offers when the VSPs re-open in November. Seems so far away :-p
        https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

I couldn't understand the new systems, read to me something like . . .

Turn left on a Tuesday, send in 20 packets of each seed you've saved and in return get a bundle of seeds you weren't looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny.D View Post

Turn left on a Tuesday, send in 20 packets of each seed you've saved and in return get a bundle of seeds you weren't looking for
            What's so difficult?

You have 4 packets of self saved tomato seed (12 seeds in each pack ) and 6 packets of chilli seed (all the same variety.) you can choose 10 packets of tomato and/or chilli seed from the list in the vsp - send me your seed with an sae and I will send out your 10 choices by return of post.
            What is it that you dont understand?
            Last edited by Scarlet; 02-06-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny.D View Post

Actually its just a jump to the left, then a step to the right, put your hands on your hips....

Seriously though. The VSP is a swap, you send in up to 20 packs of unwanted seed (saved or commercial) and ask for 20 in return. As well as sending an SAE to get your return seeds

When it split in 3 it meant it was no longer a one stop shop so what you sent and requested had to be from the specified families in each section.
              Opening times were also introduced.

Apart from that it shouldn't have made it that complicated

Comment

I might be wrong, but I thought Jonny.D was being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by Runtpuppy View Post
                  I might be wrong, but I thought Jonny.D was being facetious.
                  I honestly think people are finding it difficult to understand. We used to get loads of requests but we couldn’t keep the seeds all under one roof.

Maybe we could swap into one VSP and out of another - but obviously the stamp costs would be more?

Eg: Post10 packs of toms/and or chilli seed to scarlet. And choose 10 from NGs VSP - peas beans etc....post the sae to NG for the return seeds?

Comment

And there was me thinking that seed circles were just very young corn circles

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      I honestly think people are finding it difficult to understand. We used to get loads of requests but we couldn’t keep the seeds all under one roof.

Maybe we could swap into one VSP and out of another - but obviously the stamp costs would be more?

Eg: Post10 packs of toms/and or chilli seed to scarlet. And choose 10 from NGs VSP - peas beans etc....post the sae to NG for the return seeds?
                      You'd probably find that someone would want seeds from all the VSP holders.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You'd probably find that someone would want seeds from all the VSP holders.
                        Probably me

Comment

I think if you take the time to read and piece together the info it becomes clear.

For me the most complicated thing is when you look at the forum and see posts stickied from years aback. You've got the different seed circles and the different Vsps and for each one you've got the years before, presented at once on the page.Sometimes if the mods didn't bump the thread I wouldn't know if it was still going on or ended last year. And if you didn't read properly you mightn't catch the difference between the groups.

Having said that I think it's fine, still grouped and not like one person for one veggie.

Yes I would like seeds from all groups but I'll just have to work out for myself what's best r.e. postage costs to different holders and circles.

Comment

Originally posted by Squingy View Post
                            I think if you take the time to read and piece together the info it becomes clear.

For me the most complicated thing is when you look at the forum and see posts stickied from years aback. You've got the different seed circles and the different Vsps and for each one you've got the years before, presented at once on the page.Sometimes if the mods didn't bump the thread I wouldn't know if it was still going on or ended last year. And if you didn't read properly you mightn't catch the difference between the groups.
                            All the Stickied posts are "Live" ones - either 2018 Seed Circles or VSP - and some essential information like the Seed Swap Rules and Seed saving.
                            Previous years are not Stickied. You don't need to read back unless you want to see who participated.

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly, some of the stickied posts originated in, for example 2016, so for a newbie to the forum it was a bit confusing.

Actually I just realised that, if on a tablet in portrait like I am, you don't see the far right column with the date of the latest posts. You have to turn the device to a landscape view.

Well that was awfully stupid of me.

Comment

The 2016 threads are the VSP Seed lists which are updated as the stocks change.

You'll get there!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X