The All In Seed Circle 2018

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, Norfolk Grey

I've read the seed-saving tips and they were very helpful. I will do my best to do it right!

I am growing quite a few things this year (um, trying to grow... I suspect my success may be patchy!) so I will do some reading between now and flowering time so that I can nip potential crosses in the bud (literally).

Comment

Just bumping in case anyone else is interested. Any newcomers are welcome just need to work on your 50 posts before October

Comment

I'd like to get in on this. I'm a bit of a seed hoarder and would like to start saving more of my seed. I have walking stick kale that is currently flowering and will go to seed soon. I'd like to collect seed from that. I will probably have lots of different squash seeds. I'm growing lots of different things this year but it will depend on what grows well.

Comment

Hi all, I'd like to join please, should have 50 posts by October.
          Moved from North to South so different temp, materials, compost etc, not sure how successful this year will be. Already boiled seeds in the blowaway last week!

I am growing
          Rocket, wasabi
          Salad Rocket Oakleaf
          Spinach Matador
          Spinach America
          Lettuce Lobjoits
          Lettuce Red Salad Bowl

Courgette de Nice Rond
          Pumpkin Jack be Little
          Squash Butternut
          Pepino, melon pear
          Pennyroyal (last yr plant, should seed this yr hopefully)
          Lemon Balm (last yr plant, should seed this yr)

Thanks
          https://beingbears.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwhyte View Post
            I'd like to get in on this. I'm a bit of a seed hoarder and would like to start saving more of my seed. I have walking stick kale that is currently flowering and will go to seed soon. I'd like to collect seed from that. I will probably have lots of different squash seeds. I'm growing lots of different things this year but it will depend on what grows well.
            The more the merrier. Keep an eye out that no other brassicas are flowering (especially any large fields of rape seed ). Again squash will need isolating. It sounds faffy but it can get rather addictive. Any probs just say

How To Save Your Own Seed at Home

Comment

I'm surrounded by fields but no brassicas or rape seed growing luckily. I grow most of my squash together on the patio so I will have to use the hand pollination method. I can also grow some in the fields at the back of the house but I'm guessing bees can travel quite far. What distance would i need between squashes?

Comment

^^^I use wedding favour bags and bag the flowers in the evening then hand pollinate in the morning. Keep the bag on till the flower dies and job done. Distance becomes less of an issue that way.

Comment

I went on YouTube and watched this video on squash seed saving.
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WviRwfnvkec it can be helpful to actually see someone else do it. I feel more confident about it now. I might still stick some random squash plants elsewhere just because I can.

Comment

Go on then, so long as I don't have total slug disaster like last year! Not sure what yet though........
                    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Another beginner. Keen to join.

Hello

This is my first year of growing and I'd be keen to save and swap some seeds. (I'll need to work on my 50 posts! I've been lurking for a while.)

I'll have lots of questions about what seeds will come true and what won't. I know f1s won't, and I know about squash families crossing... but I don't know what else I don't know.

I'll be aiming to save:
                      Cornflowers (black ball)
                      Scabious
                      Cosmos purity
                      Florist's Dill
                      Do tubers count? Some dahlia tubers, maybe.
                      Grape hyacinth

Mangetout Carouby de Maussane
                      Pea beans
                      Corriander
                      Dwarf French beans (sprite, I think)
                      Some tomatoes

All of that is dependant on any of those things growing successfully enough to set seed...

Comment

Originally posted by Mistlepie View Post
                        Hello

This is my first year of growing and I'd be keen to save and swap some seeds. (I'll need to work on my 50 posts! I've been lurking for a while.)

I'll have lots of questions about what seeds will come true and what won't. I know f1s won't, and I know about squash families crossing... but I don't know what else I don't know.

I'll be aiming to save:
                        Cornflowers (black ball)
                        Scabious
                        Cosmos purity
                        Florist's Dill
                        Do tubers count? Some dahlia tubers, maybe.
                        Grape hyacinth
                        I’m sure you will manage 50 posts by the Autumn
                        This is a veg/herb circle do you could also join the flower circle too.

Comment

Mangetout Carouby de Maussane - unlikely to cross
                          Pea beans - unlikely to cross
                          Corriander - unlikely to cross
                          Dwarf French beans (sprite, I think) - unlikely to cross
                          Some tomatoes - unlikely to cross unless a potato leaf variety

You can join the flower circle as well - https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...8-a_95685.html You can send them in the same parcel to save on postage. We don't tend to worry too much about the purity of varieties in the flower circle

Comment

I harvested my walking stick kale seeds and they are currently sitting in a jar with rice, drying out. How many seeds am I going to need per person? I'm sure I read it somewhere but now I can't find the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowwhyte View Post
                              I harvested my walking stick kale seeds and they are currently sitting in a jar with rice, drying out. How many seeds am I going to need per person? I'm sure I read it somewhere but now I can't find the answer.
                              For brassicas - just a pinch. There is no set limit

Comment

I’ve saved some sweet cicely seeds so far. Not sure what else I’ve got yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X