Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't narrow it down to 2 types, so I've collected cerinthe, yellow aquilegia, honesty and welsh poppy. Also some canterbury bell seeds, though they're like tiny, like dust

Re. the monkshood - I think it's a gorgeous flower, though I don't pick it for indoor vases. I also grow hemlock and corncockle which have similar reputations.... tend to leave them in situ and then wear gardening gloves to cut them back when they're finished.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
      Re. the monkshood - I think it's a gorgeous flower, though I don't pick it for indoor vases. I also grow hemlock and corncockle which have similar reputations.... tend to leave them in situ and then wear gardening gloves to cut them back when they're finished.
      I'm glad someone else grows them!

Comment

Anyone tried growing globe thistle from seed? Just popped out to see the wind blowing them away. Ive saved some...I think they are very difficult to germinate. Wanna try?

Attached Files

Comment

I grew these globe thistles from seed, they germinated quite easily. Also they come up around my established plants and wherever I spread compost mulch, so they definitely aren't difficult round here!

I would warn anyone growing them that they make quite large clumps and once you've got them they are quite hard to get rid of because they regrow from bits of deep root just like the common thistles do.
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

That's good news for me! I think they are beautiful, I use them for flower arranging - they are fantastic as a cut flower.

I would add that ive been growing that clump for several years and it's never self seeded anywhere
            Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              I would add that ive been growing that clump for several years and it's never self seeded anywhere
              Strange. I wouldn't have thought our climatic conditions were that different.

Maybe yours is a less-fertile variety and not the bog-standard Echinops ritro, did you buy it as a plant? Mine came from a packet of seeds (Mr Fothergills).

I've got some down the allotment now, there must have been seeds in the bag of garden compost I took down there. I've been digging them up, hadn't thought of using them for cut flowers!
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I bought it as a plant Martin! but the label is long gone...I had a little echinops, just 2ft ish with small thistles and moved that...it didn't survive. This one is about 4/5ft tall, and is striking at the back of the border.
                It's really sort after as a flower arranging flower...they stand for a very long time in a vase and are also used dry. Beautiful in bouquets.
                Ive just googled and was really surprised how easy they are to germinate ...I'm in a frost pocket and although I live in a really sunny spot my garden backs onto fields...it gets hit hard with frosts in early spring and I get trouble with standing water. Possibly not the best place for self seeding?
                Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Can we have a show of hands of who's still in please? I want to get the seeds of my windowsil and bagged up....

Comment

Waves hand in air frantically and thinks to self must pull finger out and bag what seeds are saved so far (the flower circle ones are pretty much sorted)

Comment

Yes, I'm in - have collected Cerinthe and Aquilegia yellow queen as two definites.... for the third choice probably Honesty (but maybe welsh poppy, canterbury bells, or nigella, not sure which is best)

Comment

Sorry, forgot to say what goodies I had.

Purple Toadflax, Opium Poppies, Scabiosa Stellata - Ping Pong,Linum Red Flax, Helenium - Autumn Lollipop and Dahlia.
                        Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 06-10-2016, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Oh good, just read the instructions on first page again and seen that it's a minimum of two varieties but can be more.

Can I add to my list of Cerinthe and Aquilegia...honesty, nigella and welsh poppy. I've saved way too many seeds so it'll be a relief to send them away!

Great choices Norfolkgrey. I remember your scabiosa stellata from the cut flower thread, a really interesting looking flower.

Comment

As many varieties as you like WPG. The more the merrier.

Comment

Still here.

Ok peeps, I'm still lurking.

I'm packing up my seeds now, I have my minimum of 2 for this forum.

Dahlia Sunny Reggae
                              Lunaria annua ex chedglow

There may be more varieties, but I need final numbers of participants soon, a deadline perhaps.

At the mo I'm seeing a total of 4 people to provide for.

Depending on total amounts of people participating, this will have an effect of what I can actually supply. (I want to make sure I have plenty of seed for people).

I'm also supplying the Hardy Plant Society, and their dead line is 31st of Oct.

Could we have a final amount of participants soon perhaps..?
                              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I hear you, seasprout
                                Shall we set the deadline for participants as 31st October - same as the HPS?
                                I'll add it to the 1st post

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X