Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is the most gorgeous aquilegia, Scarlet. I've never been much for their wishy washy colours. I didn't realise they came in bold colours too. Lovely.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I love the colours too! I originally bought the seed from Malvern Garden show a few years back. I grew 6 plants and gave 5 away thinking it would reseed. It never has.

Comment

Yes please! Great idea as I always have lots of spare seeds and was thinking other people must have surplus too. Will probably be poppies and marigolds but I'll see which flowers produce the most seeds this year

Comment

Hello Flowergirls and welcome to the Grapevine.
          To join any of the Seed swaps that we run you need to have been a member for 3 months and have made 50 posts. You have plenty of time to make those posts as we won't be swapping until the end of the year. More info at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nce_76437.html

Comment

Just wanted to run my possible choices by peeps. Feeling a bit lost what I think you might like

Purple Toadflax - is meant to be a weed but mine is very well behaved. Stands 4ft tall and bees love it.

Sweet Williams
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1458586

Opium Poppy
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1464220

Dahlia (mainly single flowering)
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1462028

Red flax linum (first year growing)

I don't tend to isolate so will be a variation of what emerges.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
              I don't tend to isolate so will be a variation of what emerges.
              Me neither but as we aren't expecting a crop from them the variation bit is something to look forward too...

I love the toadflax but to be honest I'd be happy with any of those

Comment

I never save seed, only thing ever saved was from an aqualegia which was red/yellow.
                I've no idea why I don't
                Maybe this yr.
                Northern England.

Comment

Started collecting seed...

These past couple of days I've started collecting a few seeds from flowers finishing in my garden, so far Nasturtium and a few cosmos....

Not big returns yet, but unsure how many seeds are expected in each of the 20 packets we are to send in....

I'm hoping just a pinch or else I won't be able to supply much.....
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I've only just noticed this thread, how did I manage to miss it- am I too late to join in?

Comment

WPG - you're in at No 9.

Seasprout, there are only 9 of us so far so your pinch may be a little larger!

Comment

That's brilliant VC, thanks. I've got a nice very late-flowering aquilegia (yellow queen) which I could harvest, also plenty of cerinthe which is just setting seed. Or maybe thalictrum.....not sure which to choose!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've saved a few varieties so far...some you may not want perennial poppy, monks hood, love in the mist, Jacobs ladder, William guiness aquilegia and my astrantias look like they may dry on the plant too
                          Attached Files

Comment

They all sound great and I am not just saying that .
                            Please excuse my ignorance but Monks Hood I have always thought people didn't tend to grow because it was poisonous. Is it not that bad? Is it like a lot of supposed to be poisonous, where you just aren't meant to eat them?

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                              Is Dames Violet the same thing as sweet rocket? Lovely, if it is.
                              It's Hesperis matronalis, so yes. Mine are mostly white and go slightly purple as they age. I now have seeds. I also have foxglove and poppy seeds, so I'm ready to swap.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                                They all sound great and I am not just saying that .
                                Please excuse my ignorance but Monks Hood I have always thought people didn't tend to grow because it was poisonous. Is it not that bad? Is it like a lot of supposed to be poisonous, where you just aren't meant to eat them?
                                I think if you search the web you can find some stories where a gardener died and it "might" have been monks hood. Ive had it growing here for years, there's not many flowers that will flower under the shade of a conker tree. I always was my hands after gardening regardless what I have touched. There are lots of plants that are poisonous, some for us, some for the dog, etc etc.....
                                I really don't know the right answer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...Monkshood.html
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 09-08-2016, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X