Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree at all, Elfeda. Be adventurous, vixylix! Try to fail. All of what you say is worth a try. With corn you should bear in mind that you need a lot of plants, though, they say 200. I've tried with ~10, and the first year they were still fine, but the second year the plants noticeably lacked vigour, though I tried this only once so I can't be 100% sure it was actually inbreeding. With aubergine I've read you need to leave the fruit to ripen beyond the point where you would consider eating it.

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
      With aubergine I've read you need to leave the fruit to ripen beyond the point where you would consider eating it.
      Totally agree - be adventurous!

Aubergines need to ripen long past being edible, and they don't always have many seeds. I got 29 from one my rosa bianca last year. And apparently they can cross-pollinate if you're not careful, so I'd still isolate them. Am trying again this year, but with many more plants so I actually get enough to share!
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Sparrow, I do not think it is the case of cross pollination, I collected seed after drying aubergine totally. and found more seedy part is near to the stem.

Comment

it will all be trial and error - its something I want to do for myself in the long run, so good motivation to get started!!

I definitely will not have 200 corn plants though...!

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
            Sparrow, I do not think it is the case of cross pollination, I collected seed after drying aubergine totally. and found more seedy part is near to the stem.
            Not quite sure what you mean Elfeda, but if it's about my aubergine I know it didn't cross, and perhaps the variety just didn't have many seeds. Will see this year when I try again!
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I found more aubergine seeds near the stalk like peppers . infact all seed I collected are around the stalk as the remaining part has fallen off during the drying process. there were far too many seeds though I have not counted.

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                Lots of stuff I think I should be able to save from - various tomatoes, sugarsnap peas, minipop corn (maybe?)
                I'm pretty sure Minipop Corn is an F1. I've grown it myself and enjoyed eating the cobs, but never tried to save seed kernels from this or any other corn, as they are nearly all F1s.

Anyone looking for non-F1 sweet corn could start here: Sweetcorn seeds to buy from The Real Seed Catalogue UK
                Last edited by Chris11; 24-02-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Can I join? I am in Spain but can use a UK address. Could be helpful for somethings people find hard to let go to seed.
                  Yesterday I saved 3379 �� seeds from gold rush currant. I have a stripy aubergine but I bought the plants so could be f1, doubt it though, never seem to see f1 here. Also have lots of chilli and pepper seeds.
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Lisasbolt, sorry, but no. Globalisation spreads too many pests and diseases around. And also we try to grow things that do well in the UK climate.

Comment

Hi Lisa,

any tropical seeds are good only once after they are grown in uk as they get climatised during that year.

I have been doing that to few Indian seed.

Comment

OK, well good luck to you all.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                          Hi Lisa,

any tropical seeds are good only once after they are grown in uk as they get climatised during that year.

I have been doing that to few Indian seed.
                          Not doing anything tropical so nothing to worry about.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
                            Lisasbolt, sorry, but no. Globalisation spreads too many pests and diseases around. And also we try to grow things that do well in the UK climate.
                            The sweetcorn that I sent to the 2015 Seed circle was sent by Nicos in France to the VSP. I had forgotten that you only wanted UK seeds, planetologist. If anyone is worried about growing it, either swap them back into the VSP or give them to someone.

Lisa, the VSP is always here for you

Comment

Hi. I wouldn't mind having another crack at some see saving this year so count me in.

Might need to do some posting as I may not have been active enough lately but should be well in by Nov/Dec.

I seem to have over 100 varieties of tomatoes so whichever ones of those I decide on, plus a big range of chilli's which will give me a nice challenge of isolating them.
                              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                              William M. Davies

Comment

Could I join in please? I ordered some seeds from real seeds which I should be able to save some seed from

Cosse Violette' Purple Pole Bean

Reisetomate Pocketbook Vine Tomato

'Golden Sweet' Yellow-Podded Mange-tout pea

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X